Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning on getting a new sight for my Diamond Edge SB-1 since the stock one isn't the greatest. I've been looking around at some sights, especially the IQ lineup. I find the unlit, 3-pin sight that came with my bow is just not good enough for what I mostly use it for. While I have been browsing around I've come across some 7-pin sights. Personally I don't think I need one, it seems like overkill to me. But it got me thinking, what does everybody think about the 7-pin sights? Are they really just too much?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I used a 5 pin IQ for 2 years. I tryied the 7. I shot 7-10 shots and sold it on here. The extra 2 pins weren't for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hunter of many things
12,129 Posts
You cant see much, so there is no view with a 7 pin sight. lol

·
Registered
540 Posts
For hunting I rarely need more than 3 pins. For 3D rarely more than 5. For shooting w my buddy’s I need more so typically use a single pin sure-lock with tape out to 120. That being said the trophy ridge trio is very appealing. For hunting you’d have a 20,30, and 40 with the option of dialing the 40 pin out to 120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
To much clutter for me. slider single pin all the way.

·
Vendor
6,898 Posts
100% agree. I use a single up pin for target and a dual pin one floater and one adjustable for hunting.

·
I like elk!
17,823 Posts
Myself a a few other that I hunt or shoot with all use 7 pin sights.
I have zero issues with clutter.
You simply get used to having all those pins.

I like having the ability to shoot from 20-80 with no adjustments and since my sight is a 7 pin slider...I can dial the last pin from 80-135 yards before running into clearance issues.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
7 pins is 4 pins too many for me, with 7 pins it's too easy to grab the wrong pin in the heat of the moment shooting at an animal. I've had my best luck with 3 pins sighted in at 40, 50, and 60yds, hold low under
40yds. Don't use a pin sight anymore, usa an ezv sight with tick marks from 20 to 80yds. I remove the paint on the 20 and 30yds. tick marks and use the range finder aspect of the sight for that, much quicker.
The 40, 50, and 60yd marks painted black I use just like a 3 pin sight. The 70 and 80yd marks are a lighter color and used for practice only. Do love the wide open sight picture with the sight when aiming.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm starting to see that. I really like the idea of a clutter-free, single-pin sight since I'm hunting coyotes at night. Probably will just want to keep it simple.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm starting to see that. I really like the idea of a clutter-free, single-pin sight since I'm hunting coyotes at night. Probably will just want to keep it simple.
If your hunting at night that changes things, I agree with a single pin sight more than that could cause problems, my ezv sight is not suited for a night hunting sight.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,378 Posts
My view is they are WAY too busy. I prefer a single pin slider.

·
Mark
5,446 Posts
My view is they are WAY too busy. I prefer a single pin slider.
I could not agree more! Never had more than 5 pins and 7 pin requires too much thinking about which pin to use.

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Too many pins. Clutters view and 100% unnecessary. Don't understand nor would I ever hunt with a single pin but certainly wouldn't go as far as a 7. Never had any use for more than 3 or 4.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
I like elk!
17,823 Posts
Too many pins. Clutters view and 100% unnecessary. Don't understand nor would I ever hunt with a single pin but certainly wouldn't go as far as a 7. Never had any use for more than 3 or 4.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If you have 3 pins, but want to shoot something (not necessarily an animal) at 55, 65 or 75 yards....wouldn’t that make the claim of 100% unnecessary kinda...moot or debatable?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts