• Pre-1959? You 'da man!

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year did you shoot your first organized archery competition? I was 26 when I shot my 1st field shoot at Tomo-Chi-Chi archery club in Georgia way back in 1987!

·
Registered
27 Posts
12 years old

I first shot competitively when I turned 12 years old and I shot a mature doe in the head with my 45 pound Hoyt Raider.
I aimed for the heart...but at that time I didn't know broadheads flew different than field points.

Dropped her 30 yards away!!!!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Gotcha beat! Started shooting field archery and 2-D animal rounds back in the summer of 76'. I still remember how excited I got everytime the new Archery magazine showed up. Doesn't seem that long ago.

·
Registered
450 Posts
'76 is when i started. astro stinger, 1816's and single spot targets, at a little shop called "broken arrow archery" in west allis, wis. you're right jim, it doesn't seem that long ago.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
My first competitive season of shooting was in 1990 when I was 22. I shot NFAA blue face and was the NJ State Champion infoors in Womens Freestyle Limited and bronzed in the NFAA Mid-Atlantic Indoor in the same style......

Wow! Have I come a long way!

Scoobs

·
Lowered expectations
15,549 Posts
January, 1974, at the University of Toronto annual indoor shoot. It was a "PAA" round (same as NFAA now). I scored 257 using a Pearson 30# Javalina recurve, "DJ" sight and fiberglass arrows. I won a butt prize for target 17.

That stuff I can remember vividly.

Of course, I can't remember where I put my car keys tonight....

:(

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Started in 1976 shooting leagues at Smiths Point Archery lanes on Long Island and Field and 3d shooting(then called Safari Shoots) at Suffork Archers and indoor tounaments at Hall's Arrow.
First compound was a Bear Polar LTD and then bought a Jennings Arrowstar in red.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Went to my first field archery shoot in 1985. in Conneticut.
I had no arrow rest or sight. Just a bow.
I was getting laughed at about my equipment. Everyone was telling me about all this stuff you should have on your bow to shoot pretty good. I remember a shot a 421 that day. two point off the club champ in Bow hunter. using 2317 arrows with 150 grain points.
The next day I put a rest on the bow. This totally mess up what I guess was my sight piture LOL. The following week I went for that high dollar $20.00 pin sight. The next shoot I shot a 470.
Shot with out a peep sight (a what) for three more years.
At the Nationals at the glen I shot a 490 BHFSL the first day and a 440 the next. A pro was watching me shoot. He was shaking his head. He pulled me to the side and put a peep sight in the string. I struggled the rest of the week. Then the following week I shot my first 500 - a 509. There was no turning back.

·
Registered
498 Posts
In 82' at a 3-D in Kenmore Washington. I was shooting a brand new Glen St. Charles Signature Buckskin compound and in the raffle, I won a custom made recurve from Duke Savora.....

My first spot shoot was in 88' at High Country Archery in Lewiston Id. Ol' Tom Crowe was there showing all the FS males how to do it with pins....lol...Ahh the good ol days!

My family now owns a Pro shop with lanes! Go figure....lol

Bob Hickey

What Glen St. Charles and his entire family has done for Archery is beyond words. He is a great man and has a wonderfull helping family. Thank You N.W. Archery!

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Depends upon what you call competitively.

I was "competing" with bow and arrow against prairie dogs, gophers, and cottontail rabbits back in 1959. Got bit by the archery bug because sneaking up to within 10 or 15 feet of cottontails, and then working in to close proximity of snoopy prairie dogs was FUN - - and I brought home many a belt full of cottontails, too, as well as nailing a bunch of "dogs" and gophers.

However, my first experience with the NFAA competitive type shooting was at Curt Gowdy State Park near Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1967. I shot that range barebow with a 50# Bear Grizzly bow and wooden arrows - - got a sound thrashing, but had a great time.

Then, in 1969, I moved to Casper, Wyoming, joined the Red Arrow Archers, and got bit by the competitive bug big time. By then I had a Bear Polar recurve bow with the Premier site on it. Then 'graduated' to a White Wing, then a Wing Presentation II.

field14:D :D

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
My first tournament was NAA indoor nationals in Andover MA March 1999.

Funny story. I had ordered a bow and was sceduled to shoot on a JOAD league. well my bow came late. the first day of the league. What did I do? I shot it that day on the league. My first time ever shooting was pretty much competitive lol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My first competive shooting was in 1967. I joined the NFAA that year and shot the NFAA Field Rounds with a recurve bow by American Archery. I still have one of their bows, and still hunt with it sometimes. The bow was built in 67 or 68, it still shoots with the best of them today.

Good Shooting :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Joined Longhorn Archery Club in Pasadena, TX in 1957. Shot in club shoots and club invitationals in '57 and '58. Went to my first Invitational tournament at another club at Buffalo Field Archery Club in Houston, TX in 1959. Still have the Tournament patch and plack that I won ( third place youth division). Wish Buffalo was still in Memorial Park at that range, it was one of the best in the state.

Robert

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
1972 at a Camp in Wyoming-we had a camp tournmanent. I lost to two kids who had their own bows. I spent four summers there-the next year, I had gone to Charlie Pierson's range and Mildred had tried to teach me something (I wish I had had the time to go there regularly but having two brothers who didn't like archery and a dad who was busy when JOAD met I didn't get coaching much). The next year I won the tournament and shot in a small HS tournament (I thought I was good til Darrell Pace shot next to me and cleaned a 300:D )

quit when Pierson's closed-started again in 82 in NYS while a law student at Cornell. 85-stopped because I was seriously into IPSC and in 87-92 I was shooting again on the Olympic style skeet circuit. 95 bought a farm that had room to shoot-been shooting serious competition since then-first 3D, then compound spots, now FITA recurve (like field best though tournaments are few and far between) and TNC as well as 3D crossbow

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
1950 something

I started with a Shakespear green long bow back in the 50s. Then my brothers got me a Root recurve 42#. Shot with it till in 61. got rid of it and started back in about 89 and have gone full bore ever sense then. Did a lot of 3d. Still do some deer hunting. Also do a lot of field archery now and really like it I belonged to the Maurice Thompson Archery club back then and still belong to the same club today. charlie

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
'85

1985 through the Parks and Rec dept. archery program. Been shooting arrows ever since. :D I was shooting a sweet Proline Cyclone Intermediate compound with xx75 1816's. Shooting barebow was king back in those days. :cool:

·
I'd rather be hunting!
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty interesting reading! Want to bump it to the top for those who didn't see it.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I've been competitive in Archery ever since I first picked up the old longbow in the barn back in the 60's. I competed with myself at first, trying to hone the skills on stumps and paper targets, coke cans, anything.. Then friends joined in...Then when I felt ready, I pitted my skills against those of whitetail deer in my homestate. (if you don't think that's competition, think again! ;))I upgraded from the longbow to a Bear recurve, then I had a York round wheel compound for a short time, Then my first "real" compound, the Bear Polar LTD. Probably a hundred or more since, literally. I started shooting homemade 2D animal targets at the local club, and then really got into it when the IBO came to be in 84. Then Field and other events became another avenue as the bug bit harder. Many trophies and awards(156 to date) from days gone by collecting dust now, but the memories are still vivid...Still going to shoots, tho work hampers alot of the travelling that I used to do and now it's mostly local stuff again.

It's all competition, even when we practice. Enjoy it all, every day of it, because it all disappears far too quickly. ;) Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Started indoor league in 1999. I am very competitive. I shot a high score of 299 45X that year. Not too bad for my first year. After that I have been shooting 300 55+ in league and was the top shooter in my area in indoor, outdoor targets and 3D. Man did I get hooked fast. Since then I have went through 12 new bows. Man do I love this sport :D.

LeEarl

·
Registered
642 Posts
Shot my 1st 3D tourney in 94' I think. Never shot past 20 yards before that. Busted a dozen arrows :eek: and was totally hooked on archery after that ;)

I didn't own a car at that time but had a big Kawasaki Enduro and drove 20 miles with my PSE Fireflite and that dozen arrows sticking out of my backpack in the rain :p Got LOTS of funny looks on the way there :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts