Archery Talk Forum banner

When do bucks begin to grow their antlers?

38447 12
I am finally getting serious about hunting and i was wondering when bucks begin to grow or show signs of antler? I live in the south eastern U.P about an hour west of the thumb. i want to start scouting early but i also want to get a feel of what my buck to doe ratio is after this last hunting season. All info is welcome...Thanks.

Brad
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,083 Posts
as soon as the old ones fall off they start storing the nutrients for to produce the new ones

· Registered
560 Posts
here is what I'm starting to learn from my trail cams around NW Oregon: The bucks shed anytime between late December and early March and they grow these nubs about an inch or so long just a short time after shedding (just a few weeks). Those nubs stay just like that until around mid or late May or so and then they start really growing fast. Keep in mind I am pretty new to all this and it's hard to tell for sure which bucks are which in my tc pics. If you ask me this same question in a couple more months I'll know alot more hopefully.
DS

· Registered
28,629 Posts
length of days is the controlling factor as when antlers start to sprout. Typically about the 15 of April here in the Midwest. Some may start 2 weeks earlier some may start 2 weeks later. The food sources are very week of nutrients before things green up. If the bucks were to start too early the antler growing nutrients would be robbed from their bone structure, instead of using food nutrients. Mother Nature kind of controls this nicely.

· Registered
530 Posts
In my part of Ohio, you can usually start seeing or noticing signs of antler growth around the beginning or middle part of May.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info...sounds like May is when they start growing. Im hoping to get a camera in the woods soon and watch them transform so i can get a better understanding of how it all plays out from now until bowseason.

· Banned
1,245 Posts
the antlers start becoming visible in may in my area....they fall off in late january

· Registered
13 Posts
georgia bucks started velvet may 15-20th

here is what I'm starting to learn from my trail cams around NW Oregon: The bucks shed anytime between late December and early March and they grow these nubs about an inch or so long just a short time after shedding (just a few weeks). Those nubs stay just like that until around mid or late May or so and then they start really growing fast. Keep in mind I am pretty new to all this and it's hard to tell for sure which bucks are which in my tc pics. If you ask me this same question in a couple more months I'll know alot more hopefully.
DS
I NOTICED ON MY TRAILCAMS IN THE PAST WEEK AND A HALF, THE LITTLE BUTTONS THAT LOOKED LIKE BUTTON BUCKS HAVE STARTED TAKING OFF. LOOKED LIKE A COUPLE WEEKS AGO TO TODAY MAY 26th THEY HAVE GROWN 4 INCHES AND STILL IS HARD TO TELL APART RIGHT NOW.
TWO OF THE BUCKS I'M PRETTY SURE WE'RE FROM LAST YEAR THAT ATE ACORNS NEAR MY FRONT DOOR AFTER THEY'RE MAMA WAS SHOT BY NEIGHBOR ON DOE DAY. LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE 4 POINTER/S OR BETTER.
ALL OF THE BUCKS ARE TOGETHER NOW AND I SEE 6 BUCKS ON TRAILCAMS REGUARLY THAT ARE FORKED HORN NOW WITH POTENTIAL TO SHOOT THIS FALL.

· Vendor
28,377 Posts
Part of the reason they fall is because the new ones are pushing up on the old ones, so immediatly and before.
Correct. It is similar to baby teeth being pushed out by the primary teeth in humans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.