Archery Talk Forum banner

When do they stop growing? What kinda potential might he have?

976 views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  murphy31 
#1 ·
Nature Deer Grass Natural environment Landscape
Got this picture from a landowner last night. They took the pic as he strolled by yesterday evening. Quite a weird looking rack. His bases appear to be pretty impressive but thus far he's pretty narrow. How much time is left to grow a rack? He looks like a young deer based on body size/characteristics. Might be worth giving him a year or so. Thoughts?

See less See more
#8 ·
The deer will all catch up with one another come the beginning of August. It amazes me each year how fast some bucks grow their antlers and how slow some do the same. The fast growers seem to be pretty much maxed out by the middle of July, while the late bloomers are still going strong. I have nothing to back up what I say scientifically, just lots of watching bucks in the summer.

#9 ·
I think it’s all related to food supply/consumption. The protein and minerals the animal consumes that aren’t needed for day to day living go to antler growth. I think the late bloomers are getting more incoming calories when they have more antler growth. The body won’t allow the antlers to grow w out having excess.

#11 ·
Hes got at least 6 weeks of growth yet. The bases look huge.... I think he may look pretty impressive once its all said and done. Probably not going to be real wide.

So much can happen from this point on, it really tough to assume what theyll do unless you know the deer well. Nothing would surprise me.

#12 ·
till their tostrone levels bust the velvet, but thats 1 you wanna let get old unless he dont improve next year, if je continues to grow then he could be a freak or have freak babys, if he dont change must next year he needs took out.....great 1st buck or youth deer tho

#13 ·
I see most biggest jumps in antler growth from middle of July till the end of July. Those two weeks the bone grows quite a bit. Usually all the bucks are done growing around middle of August, or know pretty much what there gonna be than, here in the midwest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#17 ·
article from game biologist states;
As the antlers grow they are covered in a soft hairy skin called velvet. The velvet supplies blood to the growing antlers and protects and feeds them. Once antlers reach full size, the velvet begins to die off and the bucks rub it off on trees and brush.

#19 ·
He's young. Take your thumb and cover his antlers. He looks like a doe. Not big monster doe either. We had a had a had 2 year buck last year that taped out at 131. Woulda been around 137 if it had not broken a g2. Some bucks just have it, and he for sure is one of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.