Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to crossbows, and have come up with a simple question.

When do you cock your crossbow when hunting? I hunt in various situations including: climbers, ground blinds, and ladder stands. Do you cock your bow and climb in a climber without the arrow in place (is that safe)? Or do you cock it once you have climbed up in the stand (is that hard to do)? In the mornings, do you cock the bow at the well lit camp and get on the four wheeler, cock it at the stand with a flash light, or wait until daylight to cock it? Also when do you shoot/unload the bow (especially in the evening)? Do you shoot it into the ground and look for your arrow with a flashlight or do you climb down and then shoot it?

I have hesitated to post this seemingly basic question, due to sounding dumb or listing unsafe hunting actions, but I simply don't know. I just wanted to get some feedback from some people who have done it before.

Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
I cock mine when I am ready to shoot. That said ,I do not hunt out of portable or climbers with a crossbow. Good luck Phil

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I cock the crossbow at the truck then I go a 100 yards then put the arrow in and hunt from there to my tree stand then take the arrow out and climb up the tree stand and pull the crossbow up and put the arrow in and I'm ready to hunt from the tree stand. When I'm done hunting I shoot a different arrow into a hill.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
I cock it at the truck before I walk in..
Same for me. :)
I cock and load it at the truck too, carry it to my treestand, remove the arrow, hoist the bow into my treestand, and reload the arrow.
Since my Scorpyd bow has a virtually failsafe dryfire mechanism without an arrow, I don't worry about it dryfiring while I'm hoisting it up with my rope.
Of course, I don't remove the arrow while hunting in my Rhino Labs blind, I just have it on safety and am careful where it's pointed. :)

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
I cock before climbing into stand, pull up without arrow. Don't carry mine loaded, unless still hunting, as it's usually carried on a sling or back of ATV. I let mine down with rope cocker after the hunt at the base of the tree. Don't relish the thought of stumbling around after dark with a cocked bow, loaded or not.
I've been 'string slapped TWICE' - by a bow I used to own - makes me less inclined to carry/hold the bow cocked unless hunting.

·
Registered
476 Posts
When to cock...

I cock at the truck if hunting in a treestand, but I don't load until in the stand. If I'm hunting from a blind, I usually just cock it when I'm in the blind.

I have cocked mine a few times while seated in a treestand and it wasn't too difficult, but cocking before climbing up is much easier.

I usually shoot a target arrow into the ground at the truck to unload.

7rm

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cock as soon as possible, with lots of varriants..

Safety, safety, safety.

I never have an arrow in the cocked bow unless I "hunting".

Carrying the crossbow cocked is a even more of a pain than carrying it uncocked, so if I have a long ways to travel, I leave it uncocked, until I am somewhere I think I might encounter a deer (eg, hunting).

Keep in mind legal hunting hours. I'm not sure about the bow simply being cock, but I would not have an arrow in the bow unless it is legal to be hunting at the time. Walking in the pre-dawn, I do not put an arrow in the bow until I am on stand.

Never pull the bow up with an arrow in it. I do however cock it on the ground before climbing the tree. Every bow manufacture (I’ve seen) tells you to not cock the bow in a tree stand. Some may even tell you to climb down if you need to re-cock the bow.

GB,
Bruce

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
I cock my bow when i get to where im going to hunt. And uncock it before i walk out. I hate to carry one cocked. One of the main reasons that i find myself taking my excal most of the time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for all of the replies. Based on all of the replies, it looks like it is okay to pull up a cocked, but unloaded (no arrow) crossbow to the stand. It sure would be easier than trying to cock a crossbow up in the stand in the dark. Ya'll have been very helpful.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Me too

I cock the crossbow at the truck then I go a 100 yards then put the arrow in and hunt from there to my tree stand then take the arrow out and climb up the tree stand and pull the crossbow up and put the arrow in and I'm ready to hunt from the tree stand. When I'm done hunting I shoot a different arrow into a hill.
I do the same but put the arrow in when I enter the woods, field, etc - whenever I can hunt. I think 10-pt is referencing "no hunting within 100 yds of a public road, etc". Both of my bows have anti-dry fire devices also.

·
Banned
27 Posts
From what I've read, seen and done. Its best to cock your bow when entering the field or hunting area. DO NOT CHAMBER A BOLT until you are ready to fire. There are many times hunters come across their prey on the way to the stand, blind or general hunting area in which they miss out on great shots. If your bow is already cocked all you need to do is chamber the bolt and your good to go. Less time spent cocking, less noise and your always at the ready.
Good luck hunting and I hope you enjoy your new bow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
good day, i cock mine at truck ,put bolt in at legal hunt time.if i am going out during legal hunt time cock & load unless you are on public road wait until away from road.unload with old bolt when back near truck.with smokepole,in my state,it is not loaded until you put cap on.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
"Both of my bows have anti-dry fire devices also."

That's said as if such a bow cant be let down with a rope cocker, not so.
All that is needed is a short piece of arrow shaft, or dowel of roughly the same diameter (long enough to extend from string to just under the arrow retention clip) to deactivate it. Then let it down as shown in Excalibur video. I regularly do it with my compound.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts