Archery Talk Forum banner

When do you know it's a no go ?

801 Views 17 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Sagittarius
How long do you guys hunt before you realize you're probably not going to see anything ?
For me, if I don't see a deer within an hour after getting into my stand, it's a 99.9 % chance I'm not going to see anything from that location the remainder of the day. :thumbs_do
I and my hunting partners have taken plenty of deer over the years but, if they don't show early, they usually never do !
I can feel in my gut when it's not going to happen and I'm always right.
I can just sense if they're around and tell if they're not also.
Anyone else feel this way at times ?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,756 Posts
I do fell like that sometimes than i get out of my stand and two hours later a buck shows up on trail cam. SO i like to sit s long a possible to get better chances.

· Registered
6,685 Posts
I have ADD too Sag:wink:

I feel the same way but more than once I've gotten down only to be busted...
A. When I lowered my bow
B. Climbing down
C. 10 feet from the stand on the way out

I still can't sit for too long most days...I just can't.

I'm lucky in that I have a spot that I see deer more times than not.

That said...confidence plays a big part in it. If your confident you won't see anything the rest of the day, there aint no reason to be there anymore.:darkbeer:

· Registered
3,113 Posts
On Firday I sat from an hour before light, 5:30 am until 11:30, then again from 1:00 until 6:45. I saw a total of 0 deer. I saw alot of turkey which were roosting in the tree in front of me and I didn't know were there until light, of course they didn't fly down within range.

I figure it's a two hour drive each way to my hunting spot and I can't kill them napping in my truck.

· Premium Member
17,591 Posts
Sometimes I just have the feeling and sometimes I don't. Call it a 6th sense or whatever but I've tested it over the years and more times than not it's correct. When I've had the feeling like I wasn't going to see something I have intentionally forced myself to stay on stand to see if anything comes by.......just to check the 6th sense.
The number one factor for success in the deer woods is time spent on stand. Sometimes you just have to log as many hours as possible to make sure you're there when he shows up. If it feels like it's not going to happen then likely, not always, you're wasting time.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
????

If I had no more confidence in my stand than that I wouldn't put it there. I never come off the stand before noon and usually till 2pm, unless I kill one first. If the weather isnt going to be right, I will just wait and do a late evening hunt.:darkbeer:

· RuffLight and Bsquare
16,943 Posts
I assume...
Anytime from any direction.
If I take the time to go out....I'm going to make it worthwhile and stay to the end.

In fact, I've convinced myself...the longer you go without seeing, the better your odds are that its gonna happen! How's that for mindfu**! LOL....

But I know what your saying..somedays it just doesn't feel right!

· Registered
771 Posts
The biggest deer I have ever seen while hunting was at 11:00 AM. If I had gotten down when I had the feeling described in this thread, I would have never known he was there. I didn't get a shot because he was on a trot, 50 yards away. I thought he was coming into an active scrape that was 25 yards from my stand. He veered off and went over the hill. I think he got a snoot full from some swirling winds.:cry:

I had been rattling about 7-10 minutes before he came in. Needless to say, I tried rattling some more for about 2 hours after that. Never saw him again..... Until the next day on a completely different part of the property. Didn't get a shot then either.:confused:

· Registered
10,765 Posts
What you are feeling is a deep doubt in your decision making proccess that is usually caused by a subconsious relization some part of where or what you are doing is not right.

That sounds deep but in reality if you have had a bad hunt or two from a stand or area you will remember it at a suconsious level .We tent to translate this deep thought as a feeling in fact it is based on a experiance or some other factor say the wind not being quite right ,or the treestand you are in may be more visable than it was a week ago.you may have had to struggle or hurry to this stand or hunt .

And then you may actualy be doing what alot /all people do .You may just be questioning your own decission makeing proccess, and what you think you know about what you are doing at the time.Doubtfulness is a be place to be in your mind in the woods .Your brain is usualy right because the information in there never goes away it is just shoved back .

Then there is simple" impatiance" this is all about the mindset of the person and will change when age and experiance allow you to become more patiant.With hunting all things rushed and secondguessed are usally wrong . Allow them to develop on thier own not force things to happen and let nature come at you in its own time its better that way!Just a thought.:)

· Registered
5,106 Posts
My son and I were going to quit this morning at 10:00am. At 9:50, a nice little 4pt came through. I always expect to see deer until I quit. I guess I am an "optimist" :wink:
Dan

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Most of the time I try to stay from before daylight till 11:30-12 and then usually try to get back on stand 1:30 til dark. I've found that deer just seem to appear. Where I hunt the cover is so thick that you can't see a deer until it's on you.

· Registered
10,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sag - how do you know you are always right if you leave your stand after a short time? Just curious...
I do usually stay until around 11:00 to 12:00 am but virtually never see anything the 1st hour after sunrise. :(
That may be a short time to you though. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.