Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used one before but i figure its time for my wifes sake. I usually hunt out of my 16 foot ladder stands or my Gorilla climber. One of my ladder stands and my climber have a shooting rail that makes me feel safe. I feel especially safe in my climber. But i found a used HSS treestalker for 40 bucks and am gonna get it i think. Do you guys even year them in your climbers? Do you wait tillm8 get up the tree to strap it on? How would you use it when climbing? Again, never used one before. Thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I bought one last season and wore it everyday I went out. Ladder stands and hang on stands. I don't have climbers but would assume you'd strap it on when you get to the height you want to be.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I use mine every time I go out. When I use my climber I hook up at the base of the tree and move the strap up as I go. Most of my close calls have been when I was climbing up or down.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I do the same as dmax if you think you will never fall then you need to think again because sooner or later it will happen

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Tie your safty line to the tree from the ground , clip in & climb. You move it up with you as you go, this way you are connected from the time you leave the dirt till you return. This way you wont take the quick way down !

In a ladder or a hangon you can connect a lifeline & a prussic knot to clip into & climb that way using the same prinipals ,moving it up as you climb. Stay safe ,No deer is worth your life,Why risk it ?

·
Registered
28,125 Posts
My harness is on before I even step foot on the climber. I'm attached to the tree from the moment I get on the platform to start climbing up to and including when I get back on the ground at the end of the hunt. I am never not connected.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
I wear my HSS every time I am in a tree , hook it up 1st thing once I reach my desired hight ..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I use mine every time I go out. When I use my climber I hook up at the base of the tree and move the strap up as I go. Most of my close calls have been when I was climbing up or down.
This.......

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Anybody have a pic of this lifeline thing?
It isn't a matter of IF you will fall but a matter of when. Stands fail or get slippery. Connect AT THE GROUND and stay connected. It just isn't worth taking the chance.

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/store/tree-stand-life-line.html we have these on every one of our ladder stands.

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/store/rope-style-tree-strap.html This is what i use with my climber. Much easier than the standard tree strap

Watch the vids to see how they are used.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
this will be my first year using a safety harness. i have hunted from stands for the past 30years. i have come to realize that it is not worth the chance. + the wife and kids have been on me as well for the past few years

·
Registered
184 Posts
I fell one time about 35 years ago when a step broke while putting up a stand. Fell about twelve feet and luckily only got a spranged ankle out of it. Glad I was young and skinny. Would have done a lot more damage at present age.

Glad it happened in a way. Been climbing and sitting with safety gear ever since.

Be safe!
SS

·
Registered
643 Posts
i really like that hss tree line deal. I may have to invest in one or two for some of my setups.

About the harnesses again, I wore mine the for the first time while putting up my stand the other day. I didn't use the safety strap just the climbing belt. It worked out great, could work with both hands instead of hanging the stand, one hanging to the ladder. Im not to fond of the type of climbing belt that came with my harness. Next time I hang a stand I'm going to use my TS with the climbing belt. Feels sturdier.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The HSS lifeline is a good deal...$xpensive though. You can build yourself for half the cost, either way the idea is sound and I would encourage you to adopt if climbing sticks or ladder. If using a climber clip in from the bottom and attach to the tree using the q-safe from www.blindedhunting.com. It can't be beat for tree connections - HANDS DOWN!!!! Best of Luck and be safe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts