Archery Talk Forum banner

when does a speed become slow

1340 Views 24 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  straighthoyt88
i'm only shooting 263 with 51 lbs of ke energy. In this day and age is this bad? i feel as though i could shoot faster and get more kinteic energy but cannot,so when does a speed become slow?
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
6,628 Posts
You're going to have guys tell you that you need at least "xxx" fps and they'll give you a number of pseudo reasons for why speed is important but in the end speed is simply overrated. At 263 fps with 51# of KE you can kill anything in North America and you'll kill it just as dead as someone shooting 300 + fps. Their arrow will just get there before yours :rolleyes:

· Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what you saying is a new bow isnt needed , and i could kill an elk at 40 yards?

· Registered
6,628 Posts
so what you saying is a new bow isnt needed , and i could kill an elk at 40 yards?

No doubt about it provided you don't hit the shoulder and from what I hear it doesn't matter how fast you shoot, you're not getting through an elk shoulder :darkbeer:

· Registered
6,628 Posts
Killed a lot of deer with a lot less speed.

That's exactly my point! I remember the days when 263 fps was blazing fast and plenty of animal's died back then. Apparently there are some folks out there though that believe the animal's have developed some sort of defense mechanism that an arrow going less than 300 fps simply will not kill them :rolleyes:

· Registered
5,566 Posts
i'm only shooting 263 with 51 lbs of ke energy. In this day and age is this bad? i feel as though i could shoot faster and get more kinteic energy but cannot,so when does a speed become slow?

i'm only shooting 299 with 59 lbs of ke energy. In this day and age is this bad? i feel as though i could shoot faster and get more kinteic energy but cannot,so when does a speed become slow?

i'm only shooting 315 with 63 lbs of ke energy. In this day and age is this bad? i feel as though i could shoot faster and get more kinteic energy but cannot,so when does a speed become slow?

i'm only shooting 330 with 67 lbs of ke energy. In this day and age is this bad? i feel as though i could shoot faster and get more kinteic energy but cannot,so when does a speed become slow?

i'm only shooting 349 with 69 lbs of ke energy. In this day and age is this bad? i feel as though i could shoot faster and get more kinteic energy but cannot,so when does a speed become slow?

Your fine!:smile:

· Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok sweet. id like a new bow, but if this one has got enough still, ill just have it dipped and call it new:teeth:

· Registered
2,111 Posts
im pretty much shooting about the same as you.i used to worry and fret about the speed thing same as you,i dont worry and fret no more,i just go hunting and bring home the backstraps its a whole lot more fun.

· Registered
3,720 Posts
You are just fine.

With that being said, I personally prefer to hunt in the high 280s to 290s with as heavy an arrow as I can to keep those speeds. These numbers work best for "ME" because I like to hunt with one pin, I suck at judging yardage and I need every advantage I can get.

As long as you can hit the target with your setup, you can kill any animal you want.

· The pugs keeper
5,959 Posts
You are just fine.

With that being said, I personally prefer to hunt in the high 280s to 290s with as heavy an arrow as I can to keep those speeds. These numbers work best for "ME" because I like to hunt with one pin, I suck at judging yardage and I need every advantage I can get.

As long as you can hit the target with your setup, you can kill any animal you want.
you see lots of 300fps second bows but in the woods i bet most are 260-280s
once the hunten arrows and draw lenths are all done with. im a one pin man to, so it does make it much easier if you got more speed.

· Registered
Hoyt Satori w/ Uukha Gobi limbs 45# @ 28"
2,799 Posts
flintcreek6412 said:
You are just fine.

I suck at judging yardage and I need every advantage I can get.

twigzz88,
flintcreek6412 has made a good point here. Faster bows allow you to not have to judge yardage so closely. A 3 or 4 yard error won't "bite" you with speeds over 280...as quickly as 250 or less. However, after you get out past 40 yards the yardage estimation game starts over again and you'll need even more speed to compensate for the arrow dropping.

Thing is, if you're keeping your shots inside 30 yards you won't have a problem. More importantly, if your bow is accurate, well tuned and your broadheads are flying like they're on a string to the target, that's all you can ask. :)

The "holy grail" of more speed has become such a commercialized issue, but it's sells bows. :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, it has it's place and yardage estimation is it. The highest percentage of missed shots are due to missed judged yardage estimation. :nod:

I shot the biggest buck of my bowhunting life with a recurve that was on shooting 188 fps. He was standing at 12 yards broadside, the arrow passed through and stuck 6" into the ground on the other side of him. Did I have enough speed? Yep! Did I have enough K.E.? Yep! Is he any more dead than if I'd shot him with a 300+ fps bow? :rip: Nope! :thumb:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

· Registered
6,153 Posts
You are just fine. I personally don't like a fixed blade head at speeds over 250 fps. Never have hunted with one any faster than that and have killed a several elk, some at over 50 yards with no problem. with the advent of laser rangefinders speed has even become less important to me. Go for accuracy, forgiveness and arrow flight over speed every time

· Registered
2,847 Posts
As mentioned, you will be fine. Just don't to go to a real light arrow and then top it off with a big mechanical. Your lower poundage bows are going to perform best on elk with a medium weight arrow and a good COC broadhead.

· Registered
911 Posts
I don't know your set up, but unless you're shooting 40# at 25" draw, you could probably gain at least 50fps with a new bow. If I was going to pick between getting an old bow dipped or a new faster bow (and it seems you are), it would be the new bow.:smile:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.