Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not only for my knowledge but to help people have a guideline as to when to get a new string. This is a picture of my Ross carnivore. I'm almost certain this is the original string from 2009. The pro shop I go to locally has said my string looks good and doesn't need replaced last time I took it up there a few months ago and I agree it looked well taken care of. But here comes the problem. The other day I went to remove string that attached my qad rest to the cable. Using a string splitter, I felt some of the inner strands pop. Everything stayed together but it did move my bottom cam out of time. I tuned it back up and shot it a few times but it makes me uncomfortable now knowing the integrity of the cable is damaged. I plan on replacing it (if you make strings for this bow maybe shoot me a pm)but it raises the question of when It's time to change them out. I have run across other shooters with sketchy looking strings and plenty of bows at pawn shops and Craigslist that look like a hazard. Please Give me your input on the matter. Thank you

Attachments

·
(aka lug nut)
49,698 Posts
This is not only for my knowledge but to help people have a guideline as to when to get a new string. This is a picture of my Ross carnivore. I'm almost certain this is the original string from 2009. The pro shop I go to locally has said my string looks good and doesn't need replaced last time I took it up there a few months ago and I agree it looked well taken care of. But here comes the problem. The other day I went to remove string that attached my qad rest to the cable. Using a string splitter, I felt some of the inner strands pop. Everything stayed together but it did move my bottom cam out of time. I tuned it back up and shot it a few times but it makes me uncomfortable now knowing the integrity of the cable is damaged. I plan on replacing it (if you make strings for this bow maybe shoot me a pm)but it raises the question of when It's time to change them out. I have run across other shooters with sketchy looking strings and plenty of bows at pawn shops and Craigslist that look like a hazard. Please Give me your input on the matter. Thank you
Buy a replacement set of string and cables (full set of rigging).

That's a busted strand.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
On of the guys that I shot league with this fall says when the strings are frayed you should be afraid.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ive been wondering this too, my string is starting to look sketchy on the part that wraps around the cams, was thinking about posting pictures to see what people said, nothing like that.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
When I see frays happening, I change threads. Cheap insurance Had a bow come apart on me when I was younger, That was no fun at all!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
For future reference don't use string splitter while strings are still under tension

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
For future reference don't use string splitter while strings are still under tension
as you noted *** Using a string splitter, I felt some of the inner strands pop... the cable string scares me... I'd replace it now... JMO

·
Registered
51,165 Posts
That is more than a few----it looks like almost half of them are gone. IMHO you are way over do. Stop shooting it now and get "everything" replaced. Looks can be decieving, I would suggest changing them at the least every 3 to 4 years regardless of what they "look" like.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
I would suggest changing them at the least every 3 to 4 years regardless of what they "look" like.
The problem I've seen is about half of all string failures occur under the serving. Often this is due to putting too much squeeze on a nock, but just shooting the bow extracts a bit of life every time you let go. A basic principle of materials engineering is all materials fail. Steel, concrete, wood, thread, makes no difference. The string "looks" fine, but time and force applied are not always visible, even on carefully maintained rigging.

A 45lb bow, shot 3 months a year certainly has more life than a 80lb bow, but sooner or later they all give out.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
that needs to be replace, immediately!....
a little fraying or some fuzziness is OK, as long as a little wax, will smooth up the frayed areas,.... but if a strand breaks....replace the string, right away. the key here is to keep an eye on the condition of your strings and not let them get to the point that what you posted , happens....that is a blow up waiting to happen!
I will agree that you should change your strings at the very least, every 3 or 4 years , regardless of what they look like. ....it's good preventative common sense. it's not that much of a waste of money to replace what looks like a perfectly good string,....the replaced set can become your "spares", if they are replaced when still in good looking shape. if you hunt, you should always have a spare set and maybe a portable winch type press, in your vehicle, keep the spare set twisted and equipped just like the strings on your bow now, so that they are ready to simply be put on and get back in the woods. that's why most guys use the replaced strings as spares, they all set up and ready to be used with no adjusting, because they just came off the working bow.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
If you're wondering about changing them it's probably time. 2 years is about the limit I'd go with a set of strings. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
They should ban those stupid things... Lots of shops have NO problem jabbin them into someone's strings to do a quickie peep install or adjustment... Not on this cowboys bow...

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Its time for sure!! That string may actually hold fine and not break but, if that many strands broke already its not playing the odds well! String material is CRAZY strong but after a few years it can get brittle and dry out. Looks like 5-6 broken strands on that string. Toss it!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
interesting thread. Dave cousins posted a pic from the berlin open where due to a accident(sting cut by the cam of another bow) he lost a few strands. he did a quick patch and continued to shoot placing 3rd. while i would replace the strings as soon as i can i dont thikn loosing 1 or 2 strands would make that big of a difference in the short term life of the string

·
Registered
601 Posts
3 to 4 years rule of thumb sounds good just for insurance sake.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
interesting thread. Dave cousins posted a pic from the berlin open where due to a accident(sting cut by the cam of another bow) he lost a few strands. he did a quick patch and continued to shoot placing 3rd. while i would replace the strings as soon as i can i dont thikn loosing 1 or 2 strands would make that big of a difference in the short term life of the string
Cuzin' Dave has a pretty good level of evaluation of a string's condition...... most probably much better than you or me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts