Archery Talk Forum banner

When does Size Matter?

725 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  shooter22
Man, talk about ao ripoff! In this day and age when they say size does not matter, someone needs to tell the shipping companies this. Me and another member are trading a bow for a crossbow set up.

Well, when I was just estimating shipping sizes, I came up with a couple shipping estimates. One for fedEx and one for UPS. Ups just relly didnt care what the size was just as long as t didnt exceed thier limits. QUote for UPS About $146 for a 38Lb item. Now I did the cost estimator with Fed ex and estimated my box at 44X17X24 and came up with a shipping quote of $64, then i this morning I actually measured the bow and it is 44x18x28. The diference of a couple inches is .............. $121( something called Fimindional cost estimator or calculator--whn a box measurements exceed its contents weight)

SO, dont let anybody tell you that size does not matter, cause it does, about $57 worth:angry:

Sorry for the rant, I told the one guy, I almost felt like buying the box a vacation seat on Grey hound and shipping it that way, then I ound out they only insure up to $300 for any one package:(

Anybody know anyu secrets I dont for shipping large containers.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
i shipped a whole bow usps insured to 400 and the total was $25 or so with insurance, just be careful cause a bow boxed up is close to their limits, and you have to send it parcel post (slower) the priority was gonna be like 90

· In 'Da Head
24,270 Posts
On larger items, I utilize USPS with insurance. I have shipped double bow cases, bows, etc. from one end of the U.S. to the other insured and I never paid over $40. Typically an insured bow as previously mentioned will cost ~$20-30 depending on where it's going in the cont. U.S.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Wow thats high.

I think I've only ever paid around 25 bucks on bow shipping. USPS is cheap but not always the greatest to deal with......

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im talking about a crossbow with all accessories inside a SKB hard case all inside a box the size of 44x28x18. It costs more because of a couple inches. if you change the 28 to a 25" it goes to $60+half price. Everywhere I tried it was about the same. just was tryign to warn you about things lie what they called diminsional shipping weight as opposed to actual shipping weight.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
diminsional shipping weight as opposed to actual shipping weight.
UPS and Fedex have always used dimensional shipping size as well as weight in figuring shipping costs. Here's an example as to why: In an extreme example, figure a shipping carton the size of a container that may only weigh 100lbs. If they only charged for the 100lbs, they'd lose money fast.

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,602 Posts
A bow shipped from Richmond, Va. to San Diego, CA, with insurance and confirmation was about $30 last summer.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Man, talk about ao ripoff! In this day and age when they say size does not matter, someone needs to tell the shipping companies this. Me and another member are trading a bow for a crossbow set up.
... QUote for UPS About $146 for a 38Lb item... box is 44X17X24
Here is my secret... don't send bricks in the package, it won't weigh as much... seriously...why is your bow/crossbow 38 pounds?

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
seriously...why is your bow/crossbow 38 pounds?
have you ever held a horton crossbow with a ez cocker , scope, two sets of arrows, a metal foot cockker, inside a Hard SKB case. I can barely lift it being in a wheelchair, I thought it weighed 50lbs. I am glad it didnt.

I understand, but just two inches? in actuallity, the box at the base and top measure at the lower value,. but it bulges at the side an inch in each side:( Those two inches cost $57 bucks. I could understand If I was shipping a small compact car size box with a couple bags of shipping peanuts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.