Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The dude abides
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is the arguement of speed and weight of arrow, but at what point is the weight too much? Do you each do your calculations to find what point you will get the greatest kenetic energy or how should it be done in your opinion? I have a buddy that shoots a recurve with an arrow & bh that is over 800 grains...this just seems like it is too much. Basically I was wondering how you all decide what the best weight/speed combo is to use?

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
I believe that speed and weight = K/E, not just weight.
Heavier arrow is usually quieter, lighter arrow going faster may have just as much K/E.
I may be wrong, but I dont think that I am.

marty

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
kinetic energy is the combo of speed and weight. heavier the arrow, the quieter the bow will be, more accurate, kinetic energy is obviously gonna b more. the lighter the arrow, the nosier its gonna b, and ur kinetic energy is going to drop, mainly bc it has less weight. the heavier arrow is going to react better to the energy from the bow, whereas a lighter arrow isnt gonna store the energy that the heavier one will.

i shoot 3d tourneys w guys that shoot recurves and their arrows weighed about 800grams. the reason being that long bows do not create the arrow speed that compounds do (duh, right?) so they need a heavier arrow to get more penetration.

heavier arrows=more penetration, higher kinetic energy
lighter arrows=the opposite of above...haha im not sayin anything is wrong w using lighter arrows, bc they'll still work, especially w the speeds new bows are producing, but lighter arrow is going to produce less KE, its just basic physics.:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:

sorry for the long post, hope it helped

·
Sultan of Smack
5,564 Posts
I believe that speed and weight = K/E, not just weight.
Heavier arrow is usually quieter, lighter arrow going faster may have just as much K/E.
I may be wrong, but I dont think that I am.

marty
You are 100% correct. I was getting roughly the same K/E from an arrow that weighed 360gr. and one that weighed 445gr. The lighter arrow was going 25fps faster. I chose the heavier arrow for hunting.

SCFox

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
KE is factored using speed and mass of the arrow. A heavier arrow will have slightly more KE than a lighter arrow shot from the same bow because the heavier arrow will absorb more energy from the bow. This is also why heavier/slower arrows are quieter than lighter/faster arrows that lose more bow energy to vibration.

·
The dude abides
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is good...but I get the connection w/KE but at what point do you feel an arrow is too heavy? I guess I could have phrased the question better than I did. I know there have been plenty of debates on speed vs weight, so I don't want to go there. I guess I am just curious on what weight you would be willing to shoot from a modern bow (for those who aren't as worried about speed).

Also thanks for pointing that out about the traditional shooters, something I don't know enough about.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
You are 100% correct. I was getting roughly the same K/E from an arrow that weighed 360gr. and one that weighed 445gr. The lighter arrow was going 25fps faster. I chose the heavier arrow for hunting.

SCFox
380 gn at 340 fps I think its over 90 fp of K/E fo me.
Not to loud either.

marty

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This is good...but I get the connection w/KE but at what point do you feel an arrow is too heavy? I guess I could have phrased the question better than I did. I know there have been plenty of debates on speed vs weight, so I don't want to go there. I guess I am just curious on what weight you would be willing to shoot from a modern bow (for those who aren't as worried about speed).

Also thanks for pointing that out about the traditional shooters, something I don't know enough about.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think its different for everyone since draw weights vary. Better off to look at it in grains/pound of draw weight. I like to keep mine above 7. Current arrows are 420 grains and bow is set @ 53#.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts