Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, title pretty much sums it up ! Here is my scenerio - I have 80 acre's of bush and the so called " HOT SPOT " is in roughly a 30yrd by 100yrd open area between 2 bush's now this so called HOT SPOT has not been so hot in the last year or 2 - first 3 yrs it was great ! Now I only have 1 option on how to walk in without disturbing everythin and making all kinds of noise and don't have alot of options for playing the wind either !
So my over all question is - do I move the stand - are the deer starting to figure out where I am at ? " never have been spotted in the stand ", are the increase of coyotes keeping them away from this spot ? etc.....
What would you do ? Have put up cams with little to no activity from a spot where I use to see 30-40 deer a season all within 100yrds of my stand.
Kinda stumped on whats going on here - crops have never changed within the last 5 yrs - 1 yr corn the next is beans.
??????????????????????????????? - any thought's ????

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
your stand should be on the trail leading to this grazing spot not over it.... has the farmer gotten 35 nuisance tags because if he saw 30 dear in his crops guaranteed they where shot in the middle of the summer from the tractor ... just a thought happens lots now ...

·
Registered
689 Posts
time to move!if there not dead, move closer to the bedding area at the beginning of the season then move to the feeding area late in the season.pick a spot where you have more options getting in and out or even get a second stand which will give you more options with the wind etc.good luck.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my stand is on the trail leading to the grazing area - Im in the is tree line that seperates the 2 fields ! It's kind of a wierd set up !!! or should I say land formation ! There is nothing growing in this so called " hot spot " but just tall weeds " knee to waist high " but it has bush to the left, upper right, tree line on the right, and bush in the front - wish I could draw a picture to show you's. Now also the hot spot is not our land to hunt but it is where we have seen alot of activity in the pass few years.
Like stated before this is really the only way to walking to our stands without being detected - wish there were more options but there isn't - exspecially in the early morning hunts. I'm just curious where all the deer have gone ? Poachers ? Nuisance tags ? etc..... Always use to see alot of deer here and now they are getting less by the year ?
- anyone else with any thoughts ???

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to try and make up a picture and some how post it on here so everyone can get a idea of the land ! and situation I am in !

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hunt spot.png
Basic lay out of the spot - remember the tree line on the right is very thick !!! and I have permission to hunt on both tree lines, and the main bush at the top of the screen and bush would be around 35 acres " just that section " ! bush goes for concessions !!!!!!!! Also corner to corner of the bush at the top is about 400 yrds long atleast and about 150 yrds to the road so no real short walks ! lol'
Where would you place your stand ? Only have permission from tree line to tree line and the bush as'well if centered off with the tree lines !
Stand 1 is my main stand.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Youve probably spent too much time in the stand and get rid of the trail cams .

First question is :

Is there still deer sign in your so called hot spot ?

Which way is North on your map ?

Deer are on the decline in many areas and the rebound in others.

I would be scouting the area from a distance prior to deer season to see whats there.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The land is rented out every year so I do not believe there would have been any taken from the farmer, still lot's of track's in the hot spot !!!, North would be pretty much top left corner !

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Late in the game to change the stand. Should have them set by May no later than June. Once Big Bucks feel any preasure they are travelers in the night. The more you are in that bush now the more wary the deer will be of your stand locations. Plan on getting into your stands way early as deer head back to beds around the same time most are walking in. Once in, plan to stay for morning hunt well into afternoon around 3 pm.

You need to get a tree saddle.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd check the opposite treeline top right corner of your map. look all the way down where the bush meets up with it, if you find a trail, rubs , scrapes then set up on it. might be a good afternoon spot where they soak up the last bit of sun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts