Archery Talk Forum banner

When to draw?

816 Views 16 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  LetThemGrow
I've been bow-hunting for about 6 yrs and have killed some deer but the mistake I've made more than any other is to draw too late or even too soon. What determines when you guys pull back?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,477 Posts
First chance I can undetected.... Thats the hardest part somtimes,heck somtimes deer walk right by without ever giving me a chance,especially under 5 yards:wink:
+1 wait til it seems like you'll get a shot soon and the deer isn't apying attention. I've also drawn back with deer staring at me and they just kept staring and got shot. depends on whether they sense something is wrong or not. make sure you can draw back smooth and slow, not all crazy herky jerky

· Registered
449 Posts
I try to draw as soon as the deer passes a tree or a bush. or if it turns it's head in the other direction:rock-on::rock-on:

· Registered
2,313 Posts
The first chance I get when no eyes are looking my way. Whether the deer is moving towards me or just milling around usually at some point youll get the needed moment, sometimes maybe not then just draw in one fluid motionquickly settle the pin and shoot. that has worked for me as well.

good luck

· Registered
5,351 Posts
First chance the deer can't see me. Usually behind a bush,tree or when the head turns. If there is no cover I will draw when the animal is on the move. I find it just a little harder for them to pick you out when moving then still. If they stop, you better hold still and be ready to shoot!

· Hunt Fair Chase
2,598 Posts
At the first opportunity you can do so undetected. I agree that this can be one of the most difficult parts of bowhunting whitetails. You just never know how long you're going to be a full draw. :)

This, to me, is one of the defining reasons why so many bowhunters don't support crossbow hunting. "When to draw" is taken out of the equation. :darkbeer:

Reactions: jboyce23

· Registered
3,137 Posts
This is a good question...I never actually have thought about it. I guess I'm so focused in the stand that I just draw when I feel its the right time. Theres no time to think about it, just act.

· Registered
11,635 Posts
One of the things I do to pass time on the stand is to imagine a deer coming from every different trail, etc. and what I would do in each scenario. I pick out trees, branches, brush, that the deer might go behind and say "OK, here is where I will draw."
But to answer your question, it depends on how fast the deer is moving and how much stuff is between us. If a deer is taking one step, then stopping for 5 minutes, I will wait even if he is only 30 yards away, unless I have a shot. When you can't see the deer's head/eyes, draw and focus on the hair you want to hit until you have shot.

Lien2

· Gold Supporting Archer
11,611 Posts
I draw only when I know it's an animal I want to take,or THINK @ the time it has a possibilitybefore I give the final look see after I draw and it's in range. I may decide to let down or shoot.

I never draw on anything "blind" ,period. I must aquire my target and position myself first before I draw. With that said, do I draw,in anticipation of an animal passign thru a "slot" or "opening" that I might grunt a sound to freeze in that zone and shoot ? Yes, very often,but again, i've checked the animal over,and made the decision to attempt the shot.

Again, never draw before seeing an animal.

However, I never hunted Elk. During the rut, they come in hot, have great eyes, and will bust you if you draw as they walk to you. In those instances, your caller may tell you to draw to be ready being the Elk can't see you draw,and will be passing thru some brush to a spot where you can shoot. I've seen this on several hunting videos, and it actually happens to me quite often turkey hunting and not being in a blid, but in some brush or besides a tree. Before he gets his eyes on you, draw,hold, wait, check beard length and then shoot. It's super hard drawing on a turkey unless he fans out looking away from you. Yet again, you see or know the bird is there.

· Registered
509 Posts
It's all situational. I draw whenever it makes sense. There is no right or wrong answer. I climb pretty high so that helps. From low stands and the ground obviously changes things. Anyone who has never got busted hasn't been hunting long or is extremely lucky. Or is full of it. Just draw when it makes sense and you are comfortable and confident. Don't over think it. If you are comfortable and confident, that is half the battle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.