Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season starts here Oct 14. Due to many family,work, issues etc. I have yet to set my ladder stand. I had intentions of setting it up a month in advance but it looks like it will be next weekend before I can put it up. Raining like #@** today. Is two weeks enough time to let the area sit before hunting it? Thanks

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I put my stands up a month before the season and i try to catch a rainy day to do it in. Works for me anyways. And i dont go back until its time to hunt. Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Yes sir, set 'em up NOW while it's raining!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I agree with the others, do it now in the rain.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
corpsemaker,
I set my stands up when I get to the location I intend to hunt and take it with me when I leave. :thumb:

I don't leave stands, due to:
* Theft.
* Weather deterioration.
* Critters chewing on the belts, seats, etc.
* I don't want others knowing that area's being hunted.
* I can't afford to supply others with stands.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
728 Posts
rain

I set mine up in the rain and took a mature deer two days later. Not ideal conditions, I like to set up several weeks ahead of time, but it worked. Also, the deer in my area are used to human activity.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Cornfed said:
Yes sir, set 'em up NOW while it's raining!

I agree now would be the time and a windy, rainy day. They will never know you are there and the rain will hopefully cover up any scent left.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'll be hunting that week in Jackson county, WV and since I live in South Carolina I will be hanging my fixed position stand and hunting it the same day.:eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
We usually hang ours in late July or early August. However, you may as well go ahead and take advantage of the rain. No better time to do it this close to the season. Like they said...be careful. Things will get slippery.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well fellows. The rain let up so off I went. Loaded up the gear. Drove to the property and up the mountain we went. Whew!
With the help of my wife,yes wife:wink: I selected a new tree and got it strapped on. It took a total of 3:30 hours to do the job. We carried it all by hand. The ladder stand weighs 62lbs.:eek: plus the rest of the gear. She was a real trooper and I am blessed. I have a great spot close to some huge oaks. There is a place that the deer are crossing a barbed wire fence and there is a huge main trail that splits into three smaller ones. It looks to be a nice set up and now I am anxious to get out and hunt. Oh yea, it is raining cats and dogs now so thanks for all the advice. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Set it up in the rain is good, or a real windy day works too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts