·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you like to start mock scrapes?:confused:

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I start them in the spring by making a licking branch. I think any time is a good time if you do it right. Meaning , don't try to make it into a huge rutting scrape if the bucks aren't doing it themselves. Try to match what they are doing or not doing.:)

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Make 'em now! I've often had better quality animals respond to my mock scrapes from Sept though mid October.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you start by just tearing up the ground a bit or do you add scent and drippers this early>

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I add scent( plain old deer pee) at first and later hang a drip bottle over it once things start to heat up.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I start at the end of this month thru January i usually put a camera at a couple to see whats in the area.Just start with regular pee than a tarsal of some kind in a dripper the most important thing is the licking branch gotta have that.I'm convinced the deer like the ones with better eye appeal I know it sounds stupid but the better it looks the more it gets hit.One good point dont touch anything with your bare hands and wear rubber boots everytime or you will burn it out .

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I started 4 last week I haven't checked to see if anything has hit them yet or not.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I make mock social scrapes starting July or so. These early season scrapes you are making or seeing (June through Aug) aren’t the same ones that are used for breeding. They are like a sign post to tell deer who is around. Both bucks and doe’s will use them. And they don’t need a licking branch or any other over them.

The ones that are starting to be made now (end of Sept to Dec) will be on scrape lines and will be for breeding.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Harley Rider said:
I make mock social scrapes starting July or so. These early season scrapes you are making or seeing (June through Aug) aren’t the same ones that are used for breeding. They are like a sign post to tell deer who is around. Both bucks and doe’s will use them. And they don’t need a licking branch or any other over them.

The ones that are starting to be made now (end of Sept to Dec) will be on scrape lines and will be for breeding.
Do you know where a scrape is that is there every year? If so check it out year round and I'll bet you find that the licking branches are tended to year round? I have made mock scrapes that have turned into major breading scrapes and they are visited year round.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Can’t say I do. I have changed my hunting from deep woods to small patches of woods used as deer highways here in CT.

More of a reason to create mock scrapes.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts