Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I have been through all the posts concerning this subject and got answers from "start to use one when you start shooting to "wait till you have consistant form".

Obviously the first can't apply to me as I've been shooting for around 5 months now. Only shooting indoor 18m at the coloured target (forget what division that's called). Keen to try FITA when I have money for deccent arrows.

Here's the thing, I seem to have stagnated regarding my scores. They aren't good by any means, averaging from 470 to 495. Not shooting with new equipment, old Hoyt T/D-3, 39# at my draw length and budget carbons with a real cheap cartel sight, but this isn't the reason my scores aren't great.

I need a clicker that mounts to my sight bar as my arrows are 30" for tuning resons, and I draw 28 1/2 ". These clickers are not cheap this side of the world and I'm wondering if one will help me move foreward.

Thanks for your time and comments.

P.S. Unrelated but is 8 gr/lb the minimum I can shoot with this bow? Shooting 9gr/lb at the moment.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've heard both sides of the debate, too. If you have consistent stance, grip, finger hook, and other form consistancies, IMO you can start looking at getting a clicker. The clicker will help build one important part of consistent form; getting the draw elbow in line with the arrow.

Setting a clicker properly is a two person job, the shooter, and an observer who knows what they are looking for. The archer needs to go thru the shot cycle, with the observer watching draw arm elbow location. When the draw arm elbow is in the correct location, (in line with the arrow) the observer needs to see how far the arrow tip is in front of the riser. This is the preliminary point where the clicker should be set. The shooter lets down, the clicker is adjusted so that at full draw, the tip of the arrow is 1/8-1/4" from setting off the clicker. Now the shooter draws again, with the observer watching from behind (thru shooter's elbow, along shaft of arrow) that the draw elbow is in line with the arrow. The shooter should only have to squeeze the back muscles to get the clicker to go off. The shooter releases on the clicker. Make MINOR adjustments. Adjust the clicker so that it is easy to pull thru only if the draw elbow is back, and the back muscles squeeze to get thru the clicker. The proper set-up can take quite a while to get right.

The problem with a clicker is that if you set the clicker with your draw elbow in the wrong position, you will think everything is fine and dandy, but you are shooting with improper form. To help train yourself that you are pulling to the proper anchor point, glance at the clicker/arrow interface during the draw. You will see the clicker start to slide down the arrow point. Train your muscles to pull to that point, then aim and squeeze the back muscles. After a while, you won't need to glance at the clicker. Practicing daily in front of a mirror with a stretch band helps immensely. Just make sure you know what proper form is before training your muscles.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve N,
sorry for the late reply but thanks very much.
Seems you've been through the process yourself by the way you have explained the whole set up method.
Once again thanks very much for your time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Personally, I went a few months with out the clicker. I got down all the steps to shooting, and worked on getting comfortable shooting. My coach decided one week that I should start using it, so he watched me for a few shots and then set the clicker.

I think that as soon as you are comfortable shooting you should set it up, but a coach is best when it comes to deciding when and setting it up properly.

·
sometimes reality hurts
3,481 Posts
I shot without a clicker for about 2 months when starting, then my coach decided to start me on it as a means to gauge my form. as a new shooter, it's hard enough to be precisely repetitive anyway, so something that removes the draw length variable is a godsend. if nothing else, if you are struggling to reach the clicker or pulling straight through it, it indicates that your setup or form is inconsistent and needs attention.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree with that. I feel like since I started using my clicker I'm definitely more consistent going from set up to pre draw to draw. And it makes sure I'm keeping my shoulders relaxed and I'm properly in line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts