Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was watching some stuff on Youtube about 3 vs 4 fletch. Nobody really gives a guide to what type of arrow setup would need 4 vs 3. (i.e. heavy arrow w/high FOC, Light arrow w/Low FOC, any arrow, average arrow with light point weight, arrow your going to shoot in the wind). Looking to setup some kinetic chaos at about 520-550gr high FOC for elk, and some x-cutters for 3D and trying to decide if i should 4 fletch either of these.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I always use a 4 fletch when 3 isn’t available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I used to shoot 4 fletch all the time back in the 90’s. But now I don’t see anything that 3 fletch won’t do. I pretty much use 3 Blazer vanes helical fletched out of a Arizona mini fletcher for everything hunting and 3d now.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
The determination for 4-fletch versus 3-fletch is determined by how much drag your arrows need. It's also one of those determinations based on changing up your fletching from either short high profile vanes such as Blazers, or longer vanes that steer well........to low-profile vanes either for better clearance or just for preference.

I would never even think about using four full size Blazers, or four 4-5" feathers as either of those work very well with 3 vanes, but if you decided on some 2" low profile vanes to try........you may find that they work better in a 4-fletch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts