Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing a fall clover food plot with a cover crop of buck forage oats. I disked twice already and plan on disking it up one more time to keep the weeds in check. What would be the earliest you think I can put the seeds in the ground? Aug? Sept?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Im central MN, I wait till Aug 15th or a little after for oats. Any earlier and they just mature too much. Do it just before rain in that window I would say.

Looks like it will be a nice plot!

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I start mine here in Indiana the last week of July/1st week of Aug.... and pray for rain !!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Here in Illinois, fall plantings of clover and alfalfa usually go in mid to late August.

·
Archer
8,649 Posts
I'm in North-Central Illinois and I plant oats in early to mid September. Our season opens on October 1st so if I can plant ahead of a rain somewhere in the 9/1-9/10 window it's perfect. Before 9/1 is too early for me, and I would prefer to plant before 9/15 if the weather cooperates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts