Archery Talk Forum banner

Where are all the deer? - None even on cam

656 Views 15 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Theerizz
So, saw 2 small does a few days ago around 7am and that's it. Haven't seen anything at all in my last morning and evening hunts. I used to get deer on cams at night but haven't even gotten that lately. I know that cams (I'm using cell cams) catch about 20% of what walks in front of them but I haven't seen anything in days on cam.

I've heard of the October Lull but someone said because of the hot weather there is the November Lull this year because the rut got pushed back, is that true?

Where did all the deer go?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,180 Posts
The rut is over, generally speaking. Happens same time every year regardless of weather. You're almost a month late for the hot action. Sure deer will still breed until January but it's hit or miss whether it happens near your stand or not. Overall the deer are holed up resting. They'll be in their post rut feeding pattern pretty soon so stick with it.

Just my experience and opinion, though.

· Registered
7,506 Posts
Typical for this time of year. Give them a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,098 Posts
Perhaps you spooked or otherwise educated the deer in your spot or someone else did? Maybe a hot doe pulled your bucks somewhere else or pushed the doe out?

Cams are a double edged sword for sure. Thursday and Friday of last week I had very little to no movement any time of day between 2 cams. One cam is within 30yds of my treestand but I was in my stand both days and saw several deer. 6 of them were within 20yds of me and not one passed in front of that cam. Had I not been there I would have thought they weren't moving.

Maybe take a break for a day or 3....or hunt elsewhere if you can. Next time you go there you could have much better luck...that's hunting...you never know from day to day what you might see.
Hope you have better luck!

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Vacation! Lol same going on in my county in Michigan. Not sure what to make of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What county are you in if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m in Shiawassee county and the last couple weeks have been extremely slow with almost zero movement other then some fawns here and there. Nothing like it normally is this time of year.

· Registered
30,659 Posts
I hunted a LOT in the past few weeks.....many longs sits including nearly the whole day on November 15th which is our firearms opener in MI. I saw and shot a nice buck at 7:30am......the only deer I saw that day. Bowhunting 11/12-14 I only saw one young 7 point around 10am on the 14th. Lots of rubs and scrapes.....very little daylight sightings. I also agree that trail cams give a partial glimpse of what is going on.....far from inclusive.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
How often are you hunting that stand? I believe you posted on another thread that its your only spot and only stand to hunt.

Are you hunting it a lot? Are you hunting it with the wrong wind? If so you could have educated the deer about your presence.

Deer patterns also change. Areas go cold and other areas heat up. Ideally you should be looking for fresh sign and stay on it. I hunt a small parcel so I know about limited options so I know you can't always make big changes. However do a little scouting and see if a little change will help. If there is no other tree look for ground options. Hunting from the ground isn't easy but it allows you to change it up on the fly and move to where the deer are.

· Registered
971 Posts
What county are you in if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m in Shiawassee county and the last couple weeks have been extremely slow with almost zero movement other then some fawns here and there. Nothing like it normally is this time of year.
Ogemaw county, my property 80 acres. A family member also has a property an hour east along Lake Huron, no movement there either.

Interesting thing is I only heard 3 shots total today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.