Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a few weeks ago and got little response to the ?. I am trying to find out if there is some website or forum that will let you list land for free. i am trying to help my father in law out to get his land sold without going through a realtor. I don't want to put a sign out in front because I don't want the jerk neighbor to try to buy it.
I really don't know why iam helping him other than the fact that it's nice to get in your father in laws good graces because i am losing the farm I have helped manage for the last 5 years. It's a real sweet piece too with 280 acres of River Bottom Timber in SE IA that we have taken monsters off of every year.
It will be hard to replace so hopefully i can convince him to buy another piece when he sells this one.
Thanks TT

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Unless you list it in the open market, its unlikely you'll be able to get him what it's worth. Most often your buyers will be local, or at least "semi" local. Word about land for sale spreads through the coffee shops like wildfire and if you try to sell it, regardless of method, your neighbor will find out. If I lived closer to you, I'd be hitting you up to list it with me. I have a Iowa real estate license and sell agricultural land in NW Iowa. Given your location and the quality you describe, I'd likely try to talk to a Farmers National person in your area (www.farmersnational.com) They deal alot with recreational properties and can also list it in conjunction with Cabela's Trophy Properties. That would advertise it to a large audience with deeper pockets. If you're wanting your dad in law to buy other land to replace it, make sure he gets top dollar so he can buy as many more acres as possible.

If you do decide to list it with an agent, send me a PM and I can refer you to someone in your area that specializes in such property.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Why does it matter who buys it? It will be gone to you anyhow. Dead… no more.. Whoever buys it may be WORSE than the jerk neighbor. You can not predict the future.. BUT Murphy's law is alive and well... I would post it out-front, and list it everyplace I could, locally, etc.... get the most you can for it..

When the jerk comes asking make sure the price is high enough to compensate for the pain in the butt effect. You can always start HIGH and those that are better candidates you can consider going down. If he bites on the high… there is more money to get another piece of land..

·
Registered
13,494 Posts
metalarcher said:
Why does it matter who buys it? It will be gone to you anyhow. Dead… no more.. Whoever buys it may be WORSE than the jerk neighbor. You can not predict the future.. BUT Murphy's law is alive and well... I would post it out-front, and list it everyplace I could, locally, etc.... get the most you can for it..

When the jerk comes asking make sure the price is high enough to compensate for the pain in the butt effect. You can always start HIGH and those that are better candidates you can consider going down. If he bites on the high… there is more money to get another piece of land..
just what i was thinking,what do you care who pulls you out of a hole?post it ,sell it,move on......................

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
land

Some things just aren't about money so that's why i have chose to try to sell to the public rather than the neighbors. They are all nice people for the most part but we would like to try to get the land to someone outside the area first.
TT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts