Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a hardwood staging area just off a 20 acre hayfield. Trail cam showed it had deer every evening for five days leading up to opening weekend. So I sneak in there at 10:00am and put a stand up 15 feet in a tree about 20 yards from the trail. I hung two doe urine sent bottles 30 yards from my stand. I also put a few drops of buck urine on a scraping. Came back at 4:00pm to get settled in for the evening. The scraping had been dug out where I put the urine, which surprised me, it had to have happened mid-day. There were turkey, a raccoon and a opossum scampering around below me all evening but no deer ever showed up. I was very carefull with human sent control & I just sat up there quiet as a mouse in the light rain. What tipped them off?

P.S. There was one on the far end of the field that charged me as I was walking back out through the hay in the pitch dark, that got the juices flowing but didn't put any meat in the freezer :-/

·
Born yank raised south
16,724 Posts
I dont use urine in my setups during the early season dont know if that hurt you or not but I dont use it until the prerut.

·
<---Ride the Lightning
2,031 Posts
Wind direction??
Could your scent have blown into the bedding area, either on your walk in or while on stand?

I agree with the above post in that I don't use scents, especially this early. You are only going to educate the deer.

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
14,821 Posts
Anytime I hunt a new spot I like to spend all day on the stand. A game camera only tells part of the story. I don't think you messed up, you just weren't there when the deer came through! Also, it sounds like a front came through which could of had the deer moving earlier than normal. I would get back in there for a whole day hunt!

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Well, you went into an unexposed area for the first time and dropped down scents. That was probably not the best move. Am I missing something ? You set up at 10am in a staging area ? Why so early?

·
Archer
8,649 Posts
I wouldn't have used any scents this time of year, especially on a day when I hung a treestand and was coming back to hunt. I'm not saying that messed you up, but I wouldn't have done it. The other thing that came to mind is that perhaps the deer aren't bedding very far from that staging area, they could have been bedded down close enough to see, smell, and/or hear you hang the stand and that changed their pattern. Let it rest a few days, I'm sure the deer will start using it again.

·
Registered
436 Posts
next time try hanging the stand earlier than the day you plan to hunt. Also like everyone else said don't use any scent. I even stopped using earth cover scent. I think no scent is better (you will never totally fool a deers nose so don't hunt the area if the wind is not right). Also just may have been the day you were hunting. Maybe something else bumped them off of their normal routine.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice! I am new to the sport. I will try again w/out the scents and will be quiet as a mouse getting in. The deer don't seem to mind me going in to check the trail cam. The reason I set up at 10:00am is because I hunted a different spot that morning (with similar results) & was moving the stand to a new location. Hopefully I'll get another shot at it this weekend, thanks again!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts