Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Elite Victory 37
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just got a used MR6. Loving the bow. Got it dialed in for my draw today and I was thinking about the MR Series and what makes them different than the Monsters? Was it just a natural evolution fixing issues or a new concept based on the platform? Just curious about the history of this series of bows.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I'd put it down to evolution - Mathews took the Monster and beefed up the riser, tightened up the tolerance on the limb pockets, added more options for brace height and let-off.

Possibly not a coincidence against a backdrop of guys bending risers in presses, shimming their limb pockets to improve consistency and using Monster 7 modules to make M6.7s for an improved draw and valley.

The more conventional limb angle (less X-Force looking) is one thing nobody talks about much; IMO most likely it was to stay clear of the PSE preloaded limb patent, but it goes to show that you can get the speed out of a less extreme limb setup.

Solid shooters however they came to be though; not the lightest or the best wall, but loads of power and very accurate.

·
Registered
Elite Victory 37
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Malcom! I’ll second the wall and weight but I like the aggressive draw cycle and it’s super accurate. Plus it pushes serious speed. I haven’t chronoed yet but I’m sure it’ll be impressive. At 71# even with my short 27” draw I’m calculating approx 310 FPS with a 392 grain arrow.

·
Registered
20,603 Posts
Thanks Malcom! I’ll second the wall and weight but I like the aggressive draw cycle and it’s super accurate. Plus it pushes serious speed. I haven’t chronoed yet but I’m sure it’ll be impressive. At 71# even with my short 27” draw I’m calculating approx 310 FPS with a 392 grain arrow.

Don't chrono it. You'll likely be disappointed if speed matters to you.

·
Registered
Elite Victory 37
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More flatter trajectory. Accuracy is most important to me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not sure where they came from but I had an MR6 for a few seasons and it was a hunting machine - miss that bow.

·
Registered
51,095 Posts
It's called evolution/tweaks, every bow, bow company goes through it. But like anything in the Mathews line they are only made for a couple of years then they are gone.
The Monster line of bows were made to meet the need for speed by the customers. With that comes harsh draws and makes it harder to tune and be constant for most archers. That's why most companies are now backing away from the speed game. Again it is how archery evolves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts