Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do the majority of us here hunt on public or private land?i thank the good Lord that my family and friends are farmers and i have lots of private land to hunt.i would hate to have to resort to game lands,the only private land that we have that i will not hunt is surrounded by the pisgah national forest....and youll have people ignore the posters,pitts,pungy sticks and other boobie traps and walk all over you,and steal anything thats not rigged with c-4.

maxx

·
Registered
771 Posts
unfortunately all i have to hunt is public WMA's, but i stick to the archery only public land, and thats pretty good where i live. We have alot of deer, just not many P&Y bucks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i hunt public land but here in va its not that packed during bow lat year i only see 4 cars during bow in the parking area but nobody in the woods during gun season i saw 6 opening day and not many more after that

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Mostly private, but it sometimes gets about as bad as public as it not heavily patrolled (I myself know the landowners). I also will archery hunt and upland bird hunt a few of the bigger/less pressured Public Lands in my corner of the world.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
land

All private so far...if the outfitters dont slow down, won't be hunting much longer. Todd

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Private.
2 different farms with a mile from the house...Making me spoiled

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in Utah and have the best of both worlds. I hunt an area that is public - but is about a 5 mile hike up hill to get to. However, I have access to the public land that is above this public land so I don't have to hike :wink:

I also have two other areas of private land - one is 120 acres that holds some deer and another is 160 acres that holds deer and elk and that is surrounded by another 1000 acres of private land as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have permission to hunt on a little bit of private land, but all the surrounding property is hunted to death. Needless to say I don't see much there. I recently found some county property near me that you have to enter a drawing to hunt. They have 2 seasons for this property and they draw 12 names per season. It's about the best 300 acres I have ever hunted. I was drawn last year and I saw deer everytime out. Blew a couple of opportunities as well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
In the past I ahve hunted both and I have had success on both public and private property. This year all of my hunting will take place on private property.

3L

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Mostly public, although I live own and live on 80 acres. The land I own is mostly horse pasture and hay field with a 20 acre cattail slough. Deer will bed in our slough, but if you are in the right spot at dusk or dawn you might get some action.

I hunt our land a bit, but take it easy so I don't burn it out. I really like to hunt the big State Forest nearby. I just like hunting in the woods, even though my odds are probably lower with all the pressure. The look and smell of the woods in the fall is something I can't live without.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Public land. Most of the state is public. It's not an issue for me. Most of the big dear and elk are on public land. Private land just seems to be too much of a hassle. I've got permission from some land owners, but I usually use that permission just to pass through their land to access BLM land on the back of the property.

Nate

1 - 20 of 36 Posts