Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently experimenting with a few different achoring spots and I would like to hear from everyone about what works for them. I am currently shooting my longbow 3 under anchoring the wedge between my thumb and index finger in the corner of my jawbone and my middle finger on my canine tooth. Works pretty well, but I would like to know what everyone else is doing! Thanks:teeth:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I shoot split but double anchor too. Thumb nuckle on back of jaw (repeatable spot for me) and middle finger in the corner of mouth.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Index finger on the tooth directly underneath my eye.
Middle finger basically in the corner of my mouth.
Thumb laid underneath my cheekbone.

That may change once I get time to play with my new tab--it's a bit different than anything I've used before.

Chad

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
C -

I am currently experimenting with a few different achoring spots and I would like to hear from everyone about what works for them.
No, you actually don't. Without seeing someone shoot, you have no idea what "works for them" means. It's also more difficult for some folks than others to put what they are doing into words, and yes, some folks might think they are doing one thing but actually doing something else.

An "anchor" needs to satisfy 3 criteria:

1. It must be solid (bone on bone contact - think "boat anchor")
2. It must be reproducible (identifyable landmarks)
3. It must allow full (or as nearly full as anatomically possible) rotation of the drawing forearm so that it's in line with the arrow (vertical plane).

By what you are descibing, yours satisfied those criteria - but, can't see it from here.

Viper1 out.

·
the bow is not the boss!
2,608 Posts
im a bugger button man my self
click on the vid below.

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
Gee Viper sayed it all...... sheeeeesh.... :teeth:

Yup... and the thumb on the jaw part, anyways, is easy, doable, repeatable, and more important, anchor IN MY OPINION is everything to the shot. I don't think (in my opinion) that there is anything more important in your shot.

With a solid anchor, if you roll your string, the shot will still hit reasonably in the target bull, if you forshorten the shooting arm, your arrow will still hit the bull, if you grab the grip, your shot will still hit the bull... from reasonable distance I'm talking... like 20 yards... An anchor is like a flight plan... no plan no can.

The preceding was an opinion of one and I own sole possesion of that opinion which is shared by myself and my household demons, of whom I seek council from time to time....

Aloha... Tom :cool: :beer:

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I just thought about another one.

Ricky Welch (maybe you have heard of him--he's won several championships, including an IBO World Championship) has a unique way of anchoring. He fletches his arrows so the feather just touches the tip of his nose at full draw. I haven't tried this--mainly because I don't have the patience to fiddle around with my arrows and find that spot--but it obviously works well for him.

Chad

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
The only thing an archer NEEDS to do in regards to form or an anchor point...is be CONSISTENT to the point it is NOT detrimental to the archer's accuracy.

There are ways that make it easier to be consistent for the general population but it's not written in stone that you have to learn those exactly to be any good.

When I'm shooting at aerial or moving targets...my anchor point is in the corner of my mouth with my index finger.

When I'm trying to bust nocks, shoot at a stationary animal or compete while shooting at non-animated targets, I anchor in the same place...but I'm more aware of a tooth that my index finger touches in the corner of my mouth while making sure my thumb is also behind my jaw.

Ray ;)

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Against my better judgment, I decided to tell you what I do--since you asked. Even though you shouldn't have and really don't want to know. :mg:

My index finger follows the contour of my zygomatic arch; middle finger is behind my canine tooth and the knuckle of my thumb is under my earlobe.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I shoot three under with middle finger in the corner of my mouth and fletch touching the tip of my nose when i reach full draw.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Split finger, index finger against the incisor right in front of my canine. I found I catch my nose and forearm less then with it over my inciser. I also use a tab instead of a glove.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Don't recall seeing it, but I do know I spent waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many days in anatomy class. :)

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
They call that a cleft and most don't have one.. Randy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts