Archery Talk Forum banner

Where do you normally purchase your trail cams?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious on where everyone purchases their trail cameras. If you don't mind please select one of the options in the poll.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,304 Posts
Trailcampro.com is hard to beat with their prices, package deals and their exclusive 2 year warranty for most of the cameras they sell.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Let's see, 3 off Ebay, 1 off Craigslist, 1 @ Rural King and 2 that were gifts (BassPro & WMart from what I was told).

·
Registered
392 Posts
I guess us "Custom Camera Builders" simply didn't make the cut......:wink:

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
There is always trade offs:
Lowest Cost
Year End Clearance
A few Retailers like Amazon will replace if they fullfill your order or might even take it back if it has issues but not many they rely on the Manufacturers Warranty
Some offer a 2nd Year Warranty but they are a little more $ than others and one change their 2 Year Warranty Last Year?

Sad part is to many are returned for many different reasons but most are poor quality, not as marketing says it will work or deflective out of the box when quality is not as good as it should be and they seem to think change is needed when they had a good cam last year and the next year they are half the cam.

I could appreciate the 2nd year but you should not have to worry about it fails if they did their R&D long term or left alone when they have a good cam but that is not how the Game Camera Industry works low quality even on some of the higher cost game cameras so we all take a big chance to get a good but it is more hit and miss. And many have limited funds that is why you see so many threads "what is the best cam for under 100.00" and when they are over 200.00 many can't afford those the folks that can great but when you have to return one it is on you to cover the shipping and your time getting out.

But we like using them but each year what was a good cam might not be the next year...

For me I buy when some are clearing out inventory at a great price but you still take a chance even after hearing how good one is then you get a bad one or two or even three.

Seems this year many aren't buying I know of 2 small dealers closing up and another is not stocking all the brands he has in the past. They just are selling many game cameras this year for what ever the reason many because they tried that brand and had to return one or it does not do what the marketing bullet points says it does...

They need to last at least 3 or even 5 years but many rarely do even when you pay over 200.00 for one... And you can shop around the hard thing is some aren't as popular brands and so it is tough to spend the money when you see so many brands that just don't stack up as they should... So for me I will wait till some have a great low price like the M-1100i and get one for 145.00 to my door not a great one but for more than 50.00 off the MSRP it works... Would like to get another camera as good as the 2013 M-990i and no issues yet but their 2014 had many issues... Too many to want to buy any more Moultrie's but others have had similar experiences with other brands. Maybe one year they will realize change is not always good and stick with what was working but that would mean a major change in the management of these companies but so far they don't see that or get it just a whole lot of Returns which costs them profits. Like Moultrie had last year and they had to hire more CS to deal with all the returns and questions and RMA's.

So we all take a chance when we buy and hope we get a good one!!! But it should not be that way but it is with Game Cameras!

LFM

·
Registered
392 Posts
The crazy thing is the Chinese cameras would gain 70% more reliability if they would simply change to lead free solder. The lead based solder they use causes corrosion much like our car batteries do.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
For those that make and sell Homebrews the Video option is not a low cost from any of them before buying the more commercial game cameras I searched out homebrews that sold one that offered black flash video and there was only 1 that did sell one that did video but it was not black flash and for well over $300.00 which was and is out of my budget. I own 6 homebrews and have for several years but realized that White Flash & Red IR Flash the deer notice these type cameras and most good bucks don't return again so I have gone to black flash and most homebrew makers don't offer one that has both black flash and video so for the cost I buy that is lower in cost and has these two features I am looking for. So that is why homebrews are not mentioned... Maybe now more are but still the cost is not low enough to buy and try one not in the 150.00 or less range... Like the 2014 Browning Dark OPS for 110.00 to my door I got in January 2015.

And that now another Control Board Maker (Yeti) has close this being the second one I used and switch is just an added issue the first was Pix Controller and when they fail you are sol as to finding another that fits the same layout. Sure they are others that offer a board but again at the time I thought they would be available for many years and yet they are now gone... And at the time they were a good control board... and getting chips for different cameras is an added issue so once these stop working I doubt I will convert to another brand control board and being all mine use Sony DSC P-41 or 32 Cameras though old still work without a zoom lens like the cameras today... So some of us spending a lot less though not the best get buy but again today most things electronic are throwaway like the yeti and pix boards are cannot get them repaired!
LFM

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you want a commercial cam, IMHO there is no better place to purchase one than Trailcampro.com They are simply the best!

Blessings........Pastorjim

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
If you want a commercial cam, IMHO there is no better place to purchase one than Trailcampro.com They are simply the best!

Blessings........Pastorjim
I agree. They have good prices, great service, a free quality SD card, AND an extended warranty. That makes it tough for me to buy anywhere else!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I buy most of mine from LLBean,either from the online store or from their local outlets.All products sold at LLBean have a Lifetime Warranty!

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
It is hard to get these guys to understand that they are jut supporting the Chinese garbage when they buy these commercial cams. They care about how cheap they can make them not dependability. To bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts