Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,745 Posts
I was on the fence with this once with a big buck I shot in Iowa that broke about 6" of the end of his main beam. I decided in the end to just leave it. Sometimes I think it would have been nice to have it fixed too. I'm ok with it either way I guess.

I've only seen one that was repaired by a taxi and I couldn't tell it had been repaired. It looked really good.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thats a personal decision you have to make. Each buck is different, right...
I was after an 8 pointer 1 season. I had a couple of months of trail camera pictures. He was a perfect 8. Perfect....
When I shot him he had a broken G2. That one I had repaired. I wanted to do it and I did. I'm not sorry I did it.
I've never had anything else repaired. It was just the history knowing this buck in all his glory. I felt it was right.
I've gotten other bucks with broken antlers and didn't fix them..
It all depends. Go with what you really want to do.

Reactions: dnv23 and df06

·
Registered
127 Posts
I’ve only ever seen one repaired and it looked kinda sketchy. I’ve mounted deer with broken times, mostly cause for whatever reason the only thing I can kill is eight points missing a brow tine.I agree that if you would shoot him with his broken tines, you should mount him with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
685 Posts
First I’m cheap and wouldn’t pay for it. For me I just want it all natural also. Shot a moose this year and ruined the cape pulling it across the clear cut. Could have bought a cape to put on it but every time I looked at it I’d know it wasn’t actually what I shot. Same feeing I think I’d have if I had an antler repaired. If you’re worried about people knowing how big he WAS then print off a couple great pictures and put them with the mount.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I shot a big 8, would have been in the 150’s as a clean 8 but he broke his g-3 and just missed the 150 mark. I left him as is because that’s how I harvested him. I have had big sheds repaired though.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I shot my largest bodied buck, a 225# dressed 9 pointer that had a meh rack and he busted one G2 off on the death run down a steep slope. I believe I formed the antler with air dry clay, made a mold, and cast it with bondo or an auto resin of some sort. It was a fun project and turned out well.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting cross section of opinions. I have A buddy who gets his all fixed. I’ve never done it. I shot a 10 this year with 2 broke off tines. Got me to thinking. I do my own euros and I’m thinking about trying to fix the tines myself. I have Pictures of him so I know what he looked like. Mainly….I do euros for others and I’m interested in learning how to do it, to offer it.

Thought It was an interesting topic to discusson a discussion forum.
Happy Thanksgiving all!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts