Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite place to hunt whitetails? River bottoms, hardwoods, field edges, pines, thickets, swamps, swamp edges, etc. You name it. Be as detailed and specific as you like. You can describe stand locations or properties you have and how that relates to your primetime honeyhole stand location. Or you could give a general answer, but please describe why.

·
Registered
295 Posts
river bottoms b/c that's where the big boys roam and I also put stands on trails coming from corn/bean fields to the bedding area.
It always puts food on the table.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My go to spot is a hardwood flat 100 yards off of a fairly substantial creek. The flat has two tiers in it. The deer like to travel the hardwoods that are only a 100 or so yards wide to get back and forth to bedding, which is CRP. I am on the edge of the CRP and Hardwoods. It is a sweet spot that has produced mature white tails for 7-8 years now!

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
River bottoms, are my all time favorite. Woodlots would be my second choice. I suck at rough, rocky, hilly, ravine, country.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Depends on what time of the year it is and what phase the rut is in.In the early season I hunt the field edges.In pre rut I usually hunt field edges and natural hardwood funnels in the woods.And in full blown rut it doesnt matter where I hunt they are running everywhere.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I like to hunt in oak woods with a slough or river close to see wildlife. Where i can put a tree stand up and just sit and relax.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I am partial to river bottom hardwoods. The big bucks are always there late oct. to nov.. When the hills dont work for the big boys seems like the bottom land always comes through. A lot of enjoyment with other wildlife to watch also like turkey , raccoon , turkey , and waterfowl.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the big, wide open oak flats. There's something that just seems really natural about it to me. Out here though, after the deer are pressured they move into the swamps and marshes. There are a ton of swamps out here and if you want to get on the big boys you got to move in close and hunt the swamp edges.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
My most productive spot is on a hardwood ridge that the deer seem to use pretty often. I killed 4 deer from this ridge last year.

·
Registered
491 Posts
where a deep valley in hard woods that comes up to a field and the valley is washed out 5-6' deep and about 10' wide. One of the best funnels out there IMO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
my favorite place is tree in the center of an hay field. woods to my font and left a thicket behind me. and soybeans and corn to my right

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got lucky enough in my property selection that my neighbor put in a large cornfield, I am on the edge of a hardwood forest, river, evergreen stand, and wetland area, and the deer bed about 300 yards from my house... The only problem - I live in northern NY and big racks are hard to come by in my area...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my favorite place is tree in the center of an hay field. woods to my font and left a thicket behind me. and soybeans and corn to my right
Sounds good. Wouldn't mind giving that a shot, there's not much agricultural in my immediate hunting areas though...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like hunting in the swamps but where I hunt the swamp is so thick most places you can only see 10 yards or so I hunt a lot of swamp edges when I get the chance and since I do a lot of early season hunting it's not really too different but about 250 yards from where the swamp starts I built a decent size pond and I hunt that a lot if not those two I hunt the hardwoods but concentrate on funnels.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Early season waterholes-
mid season under a white oak-
rut,fencerows between fields-
late season,as close to bedding area as i can get.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I love to hunt in the mountains in the hardwoods. Mix the hillside with a noisy creek and you have the most relaxing place in the world.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts