Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is just to hear everybodies opinioin.

You are 20-22ft in your Tree Stand and you have a deer 10-15 yds from you broadside. Where exactly would you aim on the deer? (High,Low,Same as you would on Ground)

·
DefiantShooter
10,865 Posts
Low!

Lower 1/3....Trust me, I've learned the hard way! :wink:

·
Registered
856 Posts
My first pin is set at 25 yards. From 0-34 yards I hold on the heart and hit the lungs closer in and the heart more towards 34. My bow shoots at around 280.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
At the risk of getting flamed, I don't understand the aim low philosophy...if you bend at the waist rather than dropping your bow arm you don't need to aim low. Aim dead on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I simply aim for the heart area everytime, whether on the ground or in a tree. That way, if the arrow rises and or the deer drops, the worst that has happened is a high lung shot. It depends though. Depends on how high up in the tree you are, how far or close the deer is, how fast your bow shoots ...... etc.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Just finished filming this scenario a couple of months ago.

Used a skilled bowhunter as the shooter and gave the first run tapes to more experienced bowhunters.

Everyone (everyone) was shocked at the near perfect entry point needed to get two lungs from this height and this distance.

At 15' off the ground two lungs were only possible when hitting the upper 2/3rds.

At higher elevation it got worse as far as finding an area and the best case scenario for that height was 25 yards.

Alot of deer go down on less than perfect shots from these heights.

Unfortunately some go down far far away due to the one remaining lung that allows them to do so.

Heights have their limit as it pertains to perfect shots.:wink:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Let me rephrase my post a little...If I saw a spot on the ground and I was 22 feet up in a tree, I would aim dead on that spot and hit it. I always try to aim where I want the arrow to exit on the opposite side. But my arrow will hit where I aim not high or low. If you drop your bow arm as opposed to bending at the waist, you change your basic T form and that will cause you to not hit where you aim. Gravity is not the problem.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
YellowHawkk said:
At the risk of getting flamed, I don't understand the aim low philosophy...if you bend at the waist rather than dropping your bow arm you don't need to aim low. Aim dead on.
Thats the way to do it.:loco:

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
If you bend at the waist, aim were you want to hit. If you do not bend at the waist aim 3'' low.

Guys who shoot ROSS do not worry about deer jumping string!!, LOL

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
swoosh said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ha....actually, I've never had one duck on me but I've seen it on film so I know they do. I guess it'll happen sooner or later. :embara:

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
YellowHawkk said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ha....actually, I've never had one duck on me but I've seen it on film so I know they do. I guess it'll happen sooner or later. :embara:

Yeah me too, but have you ever notice deer are on edge that jump the string. Very nervous acting, if the deer is relax as has no idea you are there, my guess they will not jump the string.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the post. Does anybody have a picture of the correct form of bending at the waist?

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
Easy, pull back like you are going to shoot straight in front of you. Then bend at the waist:)

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
swoosh said:
If you bend at the waist, aim were you want to hit.
lxhunting,
This statement is true, but should be practised, just the same. :nod:

swoosh said:
If you do not bend at the waist aim 3'' low.
This statement is true with swoosh's set up and method of shooting. However, shooting 3" low will vary from one bow and bowhunter to the next.

swoosh said:
swoosh,
Are you making this statement because Ross bows are extremely quiet?

If you're making this statement based on speed, an alert deer can "jump the string" from any bow. Even 315 f.p.s. is approximately 28% of the speed of sound, which is 1130 f.p.s., at sea level.

I mean no ill intent, but many archers don't realize the speed differences between bows and firearms. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so basically your body will be at like a 45 degree angle?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts