Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my oldest son mark the shaft of an old arrow and take a pic. I bought a dozen new carbon arrows which I want light and cut to proper length.

With the QAD HDX that fully contains the arrow, why would I want an arrow shaft any longer than 28.5"? My grip is not high on this bow and I couldn't get my finger in the way if I tried.

The right edge of the white tape is exactly where the bow's brace point is. 6.5" from there is the string as specified by Bear for an Arena 30.

In the pic, the draw length would be 28.5" + 1.75" = 30.25" Perfect

I plan to cut the shaft at the brace point which will make the arrow with Nock 28.5" to the cut.

Can anyone think of a good reason not to?

And yes, my D loop creeped up 1/8", not as bad as it looks in the pic. I will reset when I add the foam to the rest

Rob

·
Registered
803 Posts
Pretty much all personal preference. I cut mine off about where you are showing yours. Some guys just like the head out in front of the bow so there's NO chance of any problems. With full containment rests, I see no problems cutting them a bit shorter. Logically, if a person is worried about getting cut by the broadhead, the arrow should extend out past the grip hand with the fingers extended. That's more than a bit extreme to me. lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Everyone has an opinion on this but I feel the shaft length should be used to "super tune" spine. Start long and shorten to get the perfect spine. Most bows should be able to get bullet holes paper tuning with center shot and the correct spine.

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
Either will work just fine. I cut my hunting arrows at the front of the risor just the keep the blades away from my fingers as much as possible, plus the extra weight on a hunting arrow don't hurt a thing either. Target arrows are cut a little shorter simple as that.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
Everyone has an opinion on this but I feel the shaft length should be used to "super tune" spine. Start long and shorten to get the perfect spine. Most bows should be able to get bullet holes paper tuning with center shot and the correct spine.
This. very few people take the time to do this.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have arrows that extend 1/4" past my rest and others that are like 4" out in front of the bow. The way they flew determined where they were cut.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by rfurman24 View Post
This was the the way to tune in the "olden days" bows didn't tune as easy because of the limited rest (before containment rests) and arrow shaft selection available. In MHO it is still a great tuning tool. The leave it long and heavy and safe is certainly a good option for hunting! You may have to go up a size in spine! It's your choice, there is no right answer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Leave it long, it's always better to keep it that way so if you decide to go shorter eventually .

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The shorter the arrow, the stiffer the spine. Its simple physics.
An inch or so beyond the rest is all that is needed.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Some large fixed blade broadheads like Ramcats or possibly Striker Magnums might require a longer arrow to clear the riser. Other than that its personal preference. I prefer mine in front of riser that extra 2" isn't going to cause much of a speed loss and you can always recut shorter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts