Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting some ideas for a paid deer hunt in 2014. I will be travelling from the Sault Ste Marie area in northern Ontario.

I was thinking of Illinois, but with all the negative talk of low deer numbers I thought I may be better staying north and heading for Manitoba.

I don't mind driving for a day or two, so if anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear them.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
you could come down here ,in a day(ohio) ...but spotty at best

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I would like to go to Kentucky to try to get a chance at a velvet buck. What part of the season would you book your hunt for? Kansas would be a good choice. Iowa would take you a few years to draw.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Don't let the negative talk about Illinois sway you. I've been hunting there since 2005 and I've always seen plenty of deer and good bucks. This year was no exception. My biggest issue was with the weather as I was there during the tornados and wind storms that hit in mid November. I'll probably be going back right after Christmas. If you want to see plenty of deer and have great accommodations for a reasonable price, give these guys a call: www.riverviewoutfitters.com. Feel free to PM me for a reference.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I hunted super hard 22 days straight on the missouri/Iowa border and only saw two shooter bucks and never got a shot. Whereas last year and the previous years I saw several on a whole lot less hunting. That being said I would avoid missouri and spend my money on a Kansas or different state where there is only a one buck limit. Missouri is three bucks per season.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hunted open week of Kentucky Archery for a velvet buck. Temps wer in the mid 90's and very liitle activity . Within the first three days bucks were already returning without velvet on their racks. Mother nature was against us the first five days.

·
Registered
734 Posts
nooner ranch in texas or a good spot in kansas

·
Slangin Arra's
1,243 Posts
i am hunting illinois next year and from what i have been seeing and hearing nobody isn't seeing plenty of deer and a 200+ stayed just out of bow range on the property i will be hunting next year. hope he makes it.

·
Slangin Arra's
1,243 Posts
i will say i have seen lots of illinois residents hunting their same ole places complaining about lack of bucks.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
check out ECIoutfitting.com in Illinois.We shot some nice ones this year.I think 9 bucks out of 12 guys.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My suggestion would be a River Bottom Hunt in Montana or Wyoming. The number of deer that will pour out into a alfalpha field will blow your mind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts