Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saving for years to go on a quality Archery elk hunt. I have heard and read that New Mexico is a good place to go! Any suggestions on areas and outfitters would be appreciated. FAIR CHASE ONLY PLEASE!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
try looking at Carter's Hunting Service

I'm planning for next year myself. A friend recommended that I join Carter's Hunting Service which I did this past spring. It's $100 a year but it's worth it. The magazine breaks down state-by-state how to apply for the best tags (including past success odds and trophy potential), the expenses of applying and draw odds.

More important, they broker for outfitters and landowner tags. This time of year they'll help place you on a reduced price cancellation hunt if you're flexible and can go on short notice. Tell them what you want and they'll help place you into a hunt you can afford and you'll know what to expect. They'll give you the names and contact information for other members that have been on your hunt for prior years.
It's a top drawer deal.
Look at their website www.huntinfool.com

·
Registered
311 Posts
You might also look at HuntingReport.com.

It is not bowhunter focused but has independant reviews of many outfitters. The reviews are written by hunters, not writers, so you get good and bad. They have a searchable database that should help. I will never book a hunt without checking for any negative reviews on HuntingReport.

I have booked several rifle hunts through Cabelas (I have yet to go on a bow hunting trip). http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...me-content.jsp?cm_re=store*leftnav*outdoorAdv They are pretty good at evaluating their outfitters, so it eliminates the incompetent or scams. An outfitter I knew personally recommended I book through Cabelas because of that very reason. He told me Cabelas would stand behind the hunt and try to make things right is something went really bad.

The other thing to do is go to one of the Safari club shows. Their national convention is in Reno, but some of the local chapters have shows as well. http://www.safariclub.org/ Many outfitters are at the shows so you can talk to several in person and learn more about them.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Look at units 52, 53, 4, anywhere in the Gila, or down around Ruidoso. All have good numbers of elk, and god trophy potential. Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts