Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle and i have been going back and forth on this and just wanted a little more opinions?
I have to pieces of ground I’m able to hunt and one is a cut corn field and the other still has roughly 10 acres of standing beans on it.
My uncle is saying the deer prefer the cut corn field over the beans.....and I’m the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
They will eat both but typically deer prefer corn late season. I’ve hunted Nebraska a lot and out there you maybe hunting a 20 acre woodlot that’s full of deer due to not being much cover. On one side will be beans and the other corn. In most cases deer will filter out on the corn side vs beans (late season). I think the reason is due to higher amounts of carbohydrates. Deer need this especially in colder weather. In the end both are used but that has been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
pro deer watcher
2,336 Posts
The colder it gets they seem to prefer the corn. But if you've got standing beans that could be a goldmine. I would hunt both equally until you get a big one patterned

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive found that the colder it is the beans seem to get more attention, opposite of what someone said above me. However, I agree wholeheartedly about hunting both until you find a pattern. Beans tend to be more of a long term energy source where as corn is more of a quicker energy. Or at least that is what I have gathered from my readings.

·
Registered
23,297 Posts
The colder it gets they seem to prefer the corn. But if you've got standing beans that could be a goldmine. I would hunt both equally until you get a big one patterned
I would expect to see them foraging in the cut corn, but having standing beans is also a draw. Since you have both at your use, give them both a fair effort and see what pans out. What I have noticed about cut corn fields is that deer flock to it immediately after it is cut....partially because that is their established pattern and also for the leftovers. Once firearms and muzzleloader season are in progress, they stay out of the open fields during daylight and eventually get more comfortable at dusk as season draws to a close.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
From my observation, watching the fields in back of house, i always see the deer in the cut corn, late season, farmer rotates half beans and corn every year, deer are in cut corn, always, jmo

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
I will take standing beans anytime. For example on one of my leases I have 60 acres of picked corn. I have a acre and half of standing beans. The beans are getting all the attention. So much so that I am sure there will no beans left in a week or 2. The corn will be good then.

This is in West Central WI it might be different in other regions of the country. I plant beans on purpose for late season hunting. I am surrounded by corn and beans some standing corn its farm country, but the standing beans are always in high demand by the deer.

·
Team #9
8,638 Posts
nothing beats standing beans in the cold and snow ...for me always ..I hunted last year in -8 straight temps on some beans that
the tractor had ran over and didn't pick a few really good patches on the edge of the field ..it was one of my most exciting hunts
ever...except I missed ...lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
Any chance of putting out cameras to see which food source is getting most of the activity?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts