Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
horsepower junkie
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well fellas, i have plenty of property in idaho that we own and hunt but i really want to start going out of state to other places. where are places and units you would recomend me putting in for next year? i love elk hunting and mulies. not to to big on whitetail although we have a bunch on our place in idaho. i just want to expand my hunting to other places and not sure where to start putting in. thanks in advance. this will be all for bow hunting. i got plenty of spots for rifle. :cool:

·
horsepower junkie
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where would you like to hunt? What kind of odds are you okay with? What kind of access are you okay with?
odds dont have to be great. i have no problem putting in for a hunt of a lifetime. just not sure where to go as i have only hunted in my local states, cali and idaho. i dont want to go out of state for an average animal if that helps lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
+1 Sneaky

It all matters on what you are looking for. If you want to hunt a trophy elk unit in Utah, Nevada, AZ or NM you better start applying and be ready to wait. Although with Nevada's draw system you can actually draw the first year you apply if your lucky. I have seen NR applicants draw premium tags with as little as 1 or 2 bonus points.

You can hunt Nevada archery muleys almost every year if you put in for the right units. You can buy over the counter archery tags in AZ as well and hunt every year.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Colorado has a lot of good draw units, but I'm not real familiar with them since I hunt OTC up there. New Mexico has a lot or good ones, too. 15 is probably the best. 34 is up there, too. They are both tough to draw, but they are well worth it. There's plenty of others that are good and a little easier to draw.

·
horsepower junkie
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1 Sneaky

It all matters on what you are looking for. If you want to hunt a trophy elk unit in Utah, Nevada, AZ or NM you better start applying and be ready to wait. Although with Nevada's draw system you can actually draw the first year you apply if your lucky. I have seen NR applicants draw premium tags with as little as 1 or 2 bonus points.

You can hunt Nevada archery muleys almost every year if you put in for the right units. You can buy over the counter archery tags in AZ as well and hunt every year.
i understand the utah elk, same with new mexico and will absolutely start putting in for those, just not sure where lol? same with AZ. i just have no clue where to put in for or go since i am dumb when it comes to hunting out of cali or idaho. dont keep up much on other states as i have done pretty well here and there but like i stated, just want to try some new places.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you want to get good references for what units to put in for, pick up a copy of Huntin’ Fool, Western Hunter, or Eastmans BHJ.

Eastmans has the MRS sections that break down the units. Sometimes their unit choices don’t always seem to be that great.

Huntin’ Fool is fairly expensive, $100 a year for a subscription, but it has issues dedicated to two or three states at a time. This gives you all sorts of info on whatever state you are interested in. They rate units by weapon choice, which helps out because some units produce huge bucks/bulls in the rifle hunts but not archery. If you are a member they will give you any info and areas to hunt if you do happen to draw one of their recommended units.

I’m sure there are more if you do some research but these are the ones I would recommend. Good Luck.

·
Till I drop...
459 Posts
I have almost the exact same story. I have family in Fresno and hunt D7 there every year for blackies. I then come up here and hunt the great state of Idaho for elk and muley's. Last year I began thinking the same thing, however Idaho has some trophy units that are incredible. Oh and if you want something closer to us you can try the breaks in MT, I've been there scouting and it is loaded with critters.

·
horsepower junkie
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have almost the exact same story. I have family in Fresno and hunt D7 there every year for blackies. I then come up here and hunt the great state of Idaho for elk and muley's. Last year I began thinking the same thing, however Idaho has some trophy units that are incredible. Oh and if you want something closer to us you can try the breaks in MT, I've been there scouting and it is loaded with critters.
yup. i do almost all my hunting in unit 13,14, and 17, 19 in idaho. d7 has some great blackies but also has about 15000 hunters it seems like.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I would subscribe to Eastman's Hunting Journal or Eastman's Bowhunting Journal if you want to start putting in for other states. I put in for preference points in Colorado and just this year I started accumulating points in Wyoming for elk.

·
wannabtradguy
15,320 Posts
colorado. they have anything you need but the problem for most people is money. if your loaded you shouldnt have a problem.

·
horsepower junkie
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
colorado. they have anything you need but the problem for most people is money. if your loaded you shouldnt have a problem.
i have hunted craig colorodo a few times just not archery. i am mainly looking for archery hunting. i no it can be done where i have hunted, just not sure if thats the choice area for bow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.