Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im going to hunt Kansas this yr. Looking for a elk or muley hunt next yr. What states produce the bigger trophy elk and mule deer? And do I go public land or guide?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
All western states can and produce big elk and deer. But if your looking for a certain size say a 350 bull well again any western state can produce one. Drawing the tag in the better units to achieve this is not going to happen if you have zero points right now. You can go yo Colorado for example an hunt an otc unit and stumble upon a 350 elk but that a steep hill to climb.
I would say pick a state or states and go to there web sight and started reading. After that you can decide what you want to achieve and what type of hunt you want.
As for DIY or guided that is going to depend on you. How much you want to spend and what kind of satisfaction you want from your hunt. Me personally I like DIY. The strategy of applying for the tag the prep work of getting gear ready, the research of the area (studying Google earth or Topo maps). Just as much as the hunt itself.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
All western states can and produce big elk and deer. But if your looking for a certain size say a 350 bull well again any western state can produce one. Drawing the tag in the better units to achieve this is not going to happen if you have zero points right now. You can go yo Colorado for example an hunt an otc unit and stumble upon a 350 elk but that a steep hill to climb.
I would say pick a state or states and go to there web sight and started reading. After that you can decide what you want to achieve and what type of hunt you want.
As for DIY or guided that is going to depend on you. How much you want to spend and what kind of satisfaction you want from your hunt. Me personally I like DIY. The strategy of applying for the tag the prep work of getting gear ready, the research of the area (studying Google earth or Topo maps). Just as much as the hunt itself.
Agreed. Start getting points in a lot of states for the best chances at big critters even though there is a slight chance you can find them on public land. Guided vs. unguided depends on how much money you want to spend.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
You can go yo Colorado for example an hunt an otc unit and stumble upon a 350 elk but that a steep hill to climb.
I've hunted Co OTC for over 25 years and have seen a handful of bulls over 300" but never a 350. Pretty optimistic to kill a bull like that on OTC [I think thats what you meant by "stumble"]

Other options? Yeah, buy a landowner tag in Nevada [about $15,000 if you can find one]
Indian reservation [the good ones advertise $25,000, but in reality its ??????]
Landowner in NM- varies wildly, the best units are $4,500+

Are you starting to see the pattern? grin

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
G-DAWG

First trips out of state should be about learning to hunt the new species...not trophies.
There are 11 Western States West of Kansas that have Mule Deer and Elk...I'd check out the closest one to you, and get the hunting regulations and read up on what the license and tags are going to cost, and when you need to apply.
Then I'd figure out the units to apply for.
Google Search is your friend.
Learn the acronyms like USFS, BLM, HWA, RMEF, MDF, etc...

After doing some research on your own you will be able to ask more specific questions that folks can help you with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts