Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to compound all together and thought I would only be intersted with indoor and field shooting but after going threw the 3D targets at my local club at Fountinhead here in Northern Virginia I really want to try a 3D compition. I'm shooting a Hoyt 08 Pro Elite 28" draw at 53# with a Doinker Fatty 30" and a Carter Target 3+. I should have my Pro Comp Elite here in a few weeks (already on order) GTX Cams 50-60# Ninja. I have a CBE 3D elite sight with CBE 1 5/8 scope 6x i got here used. The arrows i use are Gold TIP Pro Hunter 5575. Reads, 8.2 grains per inch? I put it on the gram scale and weighs 24.5 Grams. I read on here that PCE are too slow for 3D? I was hitting pretty good groups on 45-55 yard targets after shooting high or low on my first arrow without marked yardage.

All the classes and rules are overwhelming/confusing. Not sure what IBO is. I know bow hunter class has stricter rules and most people say the use thier hunting rig for this class... will i be out of place with a PCE?

Where should I start as far as class for a newbie? I'd like to use the same sights and stab but dont mind buying a smaller stab if i needed. I'm trying to practice judging yardage and feel I'm pretty good since I work on roads and dirt sites that I shot grading on a daily(in feet, getting use to yards now). My CBE scope has a single .010 pin. If im not mistaken certain classes dont allow you to move your sight after first shot? Are there restrictions for magnification of scope? I feel pretty confident without a lens if thats the case. Also looking into getting a 4x.

I've tried to ask as many questions to the members where I shoot but since its 24/7 and outdoor only i dont see much traffic and lots of the guys just practice for fun. I want to jump in head first at a 3D shoot coming up in about 3 weeks. I don't care if i score poorly... just dont want to make a fool of myself before I even shoot my first arrow.

Thanks a lot for any insight. I appricate all the help and guidance I've had on here from members.

·
Registered
538 Posts
With the set up u are shooting u would have to shoot in the MBO class witch is out to 50 yards . If u can judge targets to with in a yard , bow speed is not that big of a deal . Ur hunter classes have stabilizer rules and must use fixed pins

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant find any info on MBO anywhre?? would that be open class?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes it's. Open class and as stated, your setup is fine for it as long as you can judge the distances well.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys! I got a range finder on the way to work on my yardage as well.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
when i practice with my range finder i always estimate first, then shoot, then range it to see how far i was off if at all. It's good to know how your arrows hit and what you can get away with depending on how far you are off.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
grains do not equal grams...

1 grains = 0.065 grams
1 gram = 15.432 grains

1 - 9 of 9 Posts