Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently hunting 800 acres of farmland that me and my buddies were given permission to hunt. there is planted soybean fields and corn fields. ive seen deer every evening at dark in the corner of this soy bean field and i went there to hunt tonight. there are many trails coming out of the woods to that spot. i went back 100 yds down a particular trail but didnt see anything tonight. but when i came out, like i figured, i spooked the deer in the field. there are planted pines on the edge and then it goes back into thick stuff. would yall sit right on the edge of the field or do like i did. i just thought that if i went deeper i could catch them moving before it got dark but because there was a storm coming i got out early so it was still somewhat shooting lite when those deer where out there. any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
235 Posts
sit the edge of the woodline and see when they come out around and how much light you got to work with. is there some kind of funnel point/choke point just before the field that they may be using to get in the field? with out a map it's kinda hard to see the shap of the field and woodline around it. but, i would try the woodline.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its just the dirt road or trail around the edge of the field. hardly used exept by us. oh in the woods. no its not a road. those are just planted pines.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I would also pick a spot on the edge to sit. If nothing comes under your stand it shouldn't be a total waste of a trip cause you should be able to see where the deer are coming from, on which trails and such. Decifer if bucks and does are using different trails or if they are coming from same area, then regroup and set up where they are traveling the most.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
If possible I would try to have someone pick you up in a truck at the end of the evening your less likely to spook the deer herd that way if you hunt the field edge. Or just sneak out the opposite (east) field

·
Registered
801 Posts
I would either set up on the field in that corner or off to the side. Depending on the territory (looks pretty thick) I would even consider setting up 15 - 20 yards directly in from the corner.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the help guys. i was going to set up there tonight but didnt go with my first instinct. second guessed myself and went deeper. if i had set up where i first decided, probubly would have killed a deer. and yes its thick. its south east georgia. ill be sooo happy when i graduate from Georgia southern, then i can move back home

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Try to set up about thirty yards in the woods but close enough to see the field for scouting and possible shot. Many bucks will stage field edges esspecially closer to the rut. the spot where your pin for google is looks like a good start with a west/north west wing. good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts