Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bow arm seems to get tired a lot faster than my other arm. I'm set at 52lbs and it really doesnt seem to tire me much but my right shoulder (im lefty) gets tired a lot sooner from holding up the bows weight. Is this normal? I always thought the draw arm would tire faster. I want to raise the weight a few pounds since I know my left arm can take it but I'm not sure if that will cause my right arm to tire even more quickly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm a lefty too.....

and I have more trouble with the right shoulder also. I just wonder if it's related to the fact that we are left handed - and generally use the left side more - so, the right is not used as much - less use = more problems. Maybe?

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Yes, it's normal for the arm holding the bow to get tired sooner unless you're way overbowed and pulling 100 lbs. ;)

Sag

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I'm a righty and my left arm gets tired first, it's the arm that holds all the weight of the bow. See how long you can hold a 5 lb weight straight out with your bow arm and you will see what I mean. I hold a 5 lb weight in my arm while I watch TV just to build up my arm strength and it has helped a lot.:wink:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice to know I'm not alone. I shoot lefty because of eye dominance, but I'm right handed for everything else.

I'm shooting a 2005 PSE Shark.

So I'm guessing raising the weight wont have an effect on my right arm?

·
Keep'n Archery Real
4,287 Posts
menatricks, I'm in the same boat as you as far as eye dominance goes. Right handed but left eye dominant. I don't have any problems shooting and I keep both eyes open while aiming, but I've always wondered what it would be like to shoot left handed.

Oh and to answer the question, the arm that's holding the grip of the bow is the arm that gets tired for me first. Sounds like this is completely normal.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
The most tiring thing about a 3d shoot for me is pulling the arrows, I have never noticed any arm fatigue from shooting, even after shooting both 50 target courses of the R100 in one day.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Usually both of my arms get tired about the same time but today my bow arm was killing me around the first 100 shots.:confused:

Ive shot ALOT the past 4 days though...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Of course the bow arm will get tired more quickly.. as mentioned it is not only in tension, holding the reaction force of the draw, but also the weight of the bow.. as others have said.. Proper draw length can minimze

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Interesting... I am not alone out here.

menaztricks said:
Nice to know I'm not alone. I shoot lefty because of eye dominance, but I'm right handed for everything else.

I'm shooting a 2005 PSE Shark.

So I'm guessing raising the weight wont have an effect on my right arm?

I am a lefty as far as writing, eating, driving, and yes brushing my teeth! I am however, right eye dominant. I shoot everything right handed, I even pull arrows right handed, but to answer your question, my left arm (bow arm) tires more quickly.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
when ever i hold my bow arm shoulders too high my bow arm gets tired quickely. when I drop my shoulders level my bow arm doesn't get tired.

so work on level shoulders. good luck and have fun it's supposed to be fun.
:)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the advice bees, I'll keep that in mind next time I shoot.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Lefty

i shot 185 3d targets memorial weekend and my left shoulder and right forearm was the most bothered. shooting 71 lbs out of my tribute, but pulling arrows is tough on your body too. if you shoot camo shafts they are even harder to pull.:wink:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The more back you can get in your shot the less your bow arm will tire. Try to minimize the arm muscles and you will be able to shoot better, longer.
John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts