Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which weight would you prefer for a whitetail/hog arrow with more emphasis put on whitetail hunting. 420gr at 265fps or 450gr at 255fps? I know they’re so close in weight that I’m splitting hairs, but I’m curious what the hive mind thinks. Also, I know some people get tired of these threads, but I’m bored and I want to make a final decision on my arrow set up. Thanks.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,602 Posts
I like to use fiberglass fishing arrows. I can easily reach 1400 grains.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,261 Posts
I would go with the one that has more FOC, I am not a FOC nut, but since they are so close might as well go that route. But if both are with in 1-2% it will be a toss up.

These year I am increasing foc but not total arrow weight.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,257 Posts
Between the two the 450 is a no brainer.
Almost the same trajectory but quiter and with better performance.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Doesn’t matter in the least between those two. Shoot whichever is more accurate or whatever you have confidence in. The difference is negligible

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve been watching Troy “Ranch Fairy“ Fowler And his research on higher FOC is pretty impressive

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
For me it would depend on the rest of your bow specs dw,dl etc

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,760 Posts
I’ve been watching Troy “Ranch Fairy“ Fowler And his research on higher FOC is pretty impressive
I just wanna add, Ranch Fairy is on the right path. FOC is important.

But we must consider what we are and how we are hunting.
Bone structure means something. OP mentioned hog and deer, mainly what I hunt.

What about style of hunting ? In a treestand /blind ? In a treestand / blind over a corn feeder ? Or on the ground stalking ? See what I’m getting @ ? Angles and distances, important to consider.

Ranch Fairy suggests some super over spined set ups. Not much seen by me in how they paper tune ? Sure theyd smash hard but what about flight with a broadhead. I still after all my years, nearly 50 of shooting bows feel nothing can give you a better indication of what an arrow is doing then a bullethole thru paper. Advancements in video might soon give slow motion with finely detailed flight that can be calibrated for flex etc. That’s the future.

Anyway for me , I use 2 different arrows for hogs and deer. Shooting 70 pounds, there’s no deer that can withstand whatever I throw @ them, including an IBO weighted arrow @ 358 grains.

Now talk a 175+ pound BOAR hog ? Different game than even a 200 pound sow. Those who’ve spanked these things know how great a shield is in stopping an arrow. So good, they should make target blocks from it. Lol

So for boar hogs, I used a 150 grain cut on contact 2 blade with a 1.5 inch cut on a Easton FMJ 5mm 340 spine. I lengthened them up more than my Carbon Express Reds in order to get them to paper tune. My FOC is 16% @ 535 grains and it annihilates any boar hog. It’s not Ranch Fairy heavy but flies great out to 60 yards.

I stumbled onto a buck chasing doe during the second rut while I was pig hunting. It wasn’t even fair for the buck.

So in all this ? These 2 arrows are close and I’d go by which one flies better thru paper, walk back and grouping. Remember, if you really wanna put a hurting on a boar hogs heart, you gotta smash thru his shoulder bone, and it’s very easy with the right arrow and broadhead. Took me 25 years to realize this. Ranch Fairy certainly has the right perspective on target placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
If they both shoot good the heavy arrow would be my choice.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,310 Posts
You said it best you are splitting hairs. You won't see any real difference in 30 grains.......but that said at normal hunting ranges you won't really see any difference in 10 FPS either............so pick one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts