Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to get the 8.5" SportHunter B-Stinger. I do not shoot 3-D. This will strictly be a hunting stab. I want it mainly for vibration dampening purposes. Which size weight do you recommend? 8,11,14,or 17 oz?

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's all personal preference and bow balance. I have tried the 14 and the 8. 11oz is what works best for me. The B stinger is mostly for stabilization. There are probably better choices for vibration dampening.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
i hunt with my 12" 14oz and its amazing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Will the B-Stinger be the best for vibration dampening or should I look to a Posten?
If you are only looking at vibration dampening, I would look at the Sims or some such. These type are mainly for vibration dampening. The B stinger and posten are used for stabilization and some dampening. I have no experience with the Posten.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check out Stealth. Help with stabilization, and will definitely make your bow whisper quiet. I love mine.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
There are two aspects to vibration dampening.

1) Mass. More mass = better dampening overall. However, this is something that is a side effect of the amount of mass that the B-Stinger adds, and is not necessarily it's forte. B-Stinger helps stabilize the bow more than removes vibration.

More mass comes into play either by adding weight to the bow, more weight to the arrow, or both.

2) Dampening specific areas. Helping remove the resonance created by shooting the bow is where you're gonna see the most positive effect. Resonance is found everywhere - limbs, string, etc. Adding stuff like cat whiskers, string termination systems, and s-coil like devices all help reduce the bow's resonance.

On the bow that I shoot the B-Stinger predominantly with, I end up using both dampening and mass. My Bow Madness XL uses a 9.5" long extension tube that contains powder to dampen the resonance created, and uses a B-Stinger attached to the dampening tube to help eliminate torque and provide stability.

On my 3D and hunting bow, for stabilizing the bow with longer shots, I use a small dampening unit on the end of the B-Stinger (a discontinued Doinker 3" Vari-Tune) to act as a dampener while the 12" Pro Hunter B-Stinger is used with a 17 ounce weight to prevent bow torque and stabilize the bow.

-Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts