Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a Hoyt MagnaTec 70# 29in draw, string loop. I am currently shooting GT hunter XT 5575 cut at 28.5". I think I may be a little underspined but can't afford new arrows. Which weight broadhead should I shoot for treestnad hunting whitetails? I have shot 100 gr in the past, what is the advantage of whitching to an 85 gr slick trick or Magnus?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm not an expert & someone with alot more knowledge than me will probably give you the exact answer but:

According to TAP (The Archery Program) with the information you provided it says you are underspined for sure. If you change to a 85 grain tip & back your poundage down to +/- 65#, you'll be about where you need to be.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
if you are able to, cutting and inch off of the arrow shaft will be very effective in bringing the spine up some.

also the above stated will work very well, at 65# your bow will create plenty of KE to pass through a deer.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
I ran your set up on TAP based on your numbers and you are off the chart (underspined). Take your same set up and substitute a Gold Tip XT 7595 arrow and it will be spined perfect.

I ran the 85 grain BH set up at 65# and your FOC (if using 4" vanes) is 6% and still underspined.

Alternative: Drop your bow weight to 63# and shorten your arrows to 27" with the same 100 grain BH's and they'll be spined perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.