Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the new bows are smooth. Which bow has the lightest PERCEIVED draw weight to you in relation to its actual draw weight. Could care less about how smooth they are cause they all are. Some bows from the ten years ago could be and are possibly better than today’s so just looking around.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've never drawn a single cam bow but I've heard they feel easier to draw than today's double cams. I have also heard that the Xpedition Xception may be the best single cam bow ever and the draw feels lighter than the marked poundage. So I bought one. It will be here Monday!

·
The Impartial Archer
18,273 Posts
All the new bows are smooth. Which bow has the lightest PERCEIVED draw weight to you in relation to its actual draw weight. Could care less about how smooth they are cause they all are. Some bows from the ten years ago could be and are possibly better than today’s so just looking around.
How'd you come up with that? many have very harsh draw cycles...…..maybe you just haven't tried those.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have not drawn back a ton of bows but several newer bows have a pretty harsh draw cycle. At least initially. I have a 2016 70 lb synergy that sure doesn't feel like a 70 lb bow, and a 70lb switchback xt, that compared to a lot of bows, feels like a 60 lb bow. The solo cams of old are hard to beat for what you are looking for in my opinion. There is always a trade off. If you are looking for a 340 IBO bow, I would not expect it to feel like 15 lb less draw. I have the 2 bows I have because of the draw cycle. Good luck.

·
Registered
20,199 Posts
The longer ATA ones. The longer they are, the less you have to rotate the cams to the same DL so the smoother they'll be.

·
Registered
23,268 Posts
The longer ATA ones. The longer they are, the less you have to rotate the cams to the same DL so the smoother they'll be.
Another reason I prefer a 36" ATA hunting bow. Look at the IBO rating and it will give you a clue as to the draw cycle. A PSE Evoke is 330....my OB Phoenix XL is 332.....then you look at some of the short ATA bows with IBO of 345-360. Those are NOT going to feel a bit less than what they are set on a bow scale. I had a 2007 and 08 Ross Cardiac single cam that was probably the smoothest drawing compound since shooting a round wheel back in the 1980's.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
ZERO, no such bow exists. 60lbs.is 60lbs. The perception that a bow draws lighter than its actual weight is ridiculous. The only thing that will make 1 bow feel lighter at the same draw weight over another is letoff & IBO speed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
ZERO, no such bow exists. 60lbs.is 60lbs. The perception that a bow draws lighter than its actual weight is ridiculous. The only thing that will make 1 bow feel lighter at the same draw weight over another is letoff & IBO speed.
It's all about the draw curve; how quickly(or slowly) the bow reaches peak weight in the draw cycle, how long it maintains peak weight in the draw cycle, and how long/gradual is the transition from peak weight into the valley. You may have 2 60lb bows and yes, it will take a PEAK force of 60lbs to pull them both back but if one bow hits peak weight quickly and holds it, right up until a short valley, while the other is a more gradual rise and fall, then it can definitely take more energy to draw one vs the other. You have to apply peak draw force for a longer amount of time.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
It's all about the draw curve; how quickly(or slowly) the bow reaches peak weight in the draw cycle, how long it maintains peak weight in the draw cycle, and how long/gradual is the transition from peak weight into the valley. You may have 2 60lb bows and yes, it will take a PEAK force of 60lbs to pull them both back but if one bow hits peak weight quickly and holds it, right up until a short valley, while the other is a more gradual rise and fall, then it can definitely take more energy to draw one vs the other. You have to apply peak draw force for a longer amount of time.
And this is more related to muscle memory, AKA practice.

·
Registered
20,199 Posts
And this is more related to muscle memory, AKA practice.
That could be said for every bow though. With practice, even something like an original Mathews Monster or PSE Omen don't feel too bad. But, even with practice, if you have to pull 60lbs for a full 6" or 60lbs for only 2", it would take you more energy to pull the full 60lbs for 6". Work = force x distance. It more work to pull the same weight a longer distance.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
That could be said for every bow though. With practice, even something like an original Mathews Monster or PSE Omen don't feel too bad. But, even with practice, if you have to pull 60lbs for a full 6" or 60lbs for only 2", it would take you more energy to pull the full 60lbs for 6". Work = force x distance. It more work to pull the same weight a longer distance.
That is a good example. That does not make 1 bow feel heavier than the other. It just means you are pulling 60lbs. longer.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
" Which bow feels 15 lbs lighter than its draw weight? "

Hoyt, they feel like they weigh 55 pounds...

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is correct. Draw weight is draw weight.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
That is a good example. That does not make 1 bow feel heavier than the other. It just means you are pulling 60lbs. longer.
Pulling 60 lbs longer is going to feel like more weight. The area under the force draw curve is the total energy going into the system. Sure 60 lbs is 60 lbs but duration is a part of the equation too.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Hoyt RKT cam model bows. I have an AlphaMax 32 with XTR Cams, 82 lbs feels like I’m drawing 82 lbs; move to the Maxxis 35 with RKT cam swap, set at 82, feels significantly less, much closer to 65-70. But it is 3” longer ATA and has a longer riser/more parallel limb orientation...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts