Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Newbie bowhunter here. I am just getting into archery and bow hunting and bought a used HCA bow from my buddy just to get me started. Its ok for now but I know i want to get something nicer for next years hunting season. Questions is what stinkin bow to pick.... I dont want to spend more that $500 if possible and lets face it, im a new archer, I really dont need the super duper fastest crazy high end bow at this point in my bow hunting career. Just a good solid bow that will shoot well and not break the bank. And I have NO CLUE what brand bows are good, bad, ones to avoid. What features to look for, what type of cam to get or any of the other multitude of gizmos i see on the market... I plan on using it to hunt deer and elk mostly. Thanks in advance for any help....

·
Registered
438 Posts
as far as all the questions regarding the technical side of a bow, i'll pm you a website that goes through all the details. way to much to post here. as far as a solid choice for a bow i'd say bear archery produces bows with great value just meaning your getting a lot of bow for the money. their mauler for instance is one heck of a shooter for the price. single cam bows offer a certain amount of ease as fewer adjustments are needed after it is set up. mathews also offers single cam bows but you pay for them. to be honest, most of the manufacturers offer high quality bows. the more you pay, the quieter, lighter, faster, smoother and more solid it will be.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The only way to select a bow for YOU is to decide how much you are willing to spend then go to every shop you can get to and shoot every bow in that price range. All bows will feel different based on geometry, cam style, axle to axle, materials used, grip, etc etc etc. You MUST shoot them all and pic the one that feels best to YOU.

It's really hard to find a truly bad bow anymore. Just one that doesn't "fit" you properly. good luck and have fun!!

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
ajb, first things first! That used High Country bow in your hands, with some regular practice, will kill any deer on the planet. I have bought at least six used bows from pals that have to have "NEW" stuff. I have never bought a brand new bow, and at over 65 years old, probably never will. Just have fun for a season or two and learn to shoot well. The equipment issues will sort themselves out in time.

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
I've been bowhunting for 30+ years and have gone through 30+ bows. My favorite is a 2003 Hoyt Havoctec. Pretty old scool by todays standards but its what I preffer for hunting. I've owned many newer bows that just don't do it for me. I'm not saying get a Havoctec, just don't get caught up in speed and feel the need for the latest greatest new product. Try and shoot as many different bows as you can. Then check the classifieds here on AT. I bought a lot of bows from guys on here.

·
Registered
621 Posts
In that price range some of the better options to look at would be the Bear Mauler, PSE Brute, Diamond Outlaw, And Quest Hammer. But like a few of the other guys have said, the only way to choose the one for you is to actually shoot them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would also suggest just going to a couple shops and shoot as many bows as you can. Shoot the ones in your price range and the ones out of your price range so you can see the difference if there is one to you. If you find a new one out of your price range see if they have a previous years model, it will be cheaper just not "new". Also check the classifieds here you can sometimes find really good deals on new/ previous year model bows that guys are looking to get rid of. I bought a brand new fred bear truth 2 on here that was new but a year old, I only paid $400 for it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good advise from all the guys on here.The main thing is to shoot as many different bows as you can. You will know when the bow feels right, then practice as much as you can. Good luck and shoot the bow you have for a while,and see how you like it.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ask a Lot of questions. I would try and maybe find a bow that you can adjust the draw length. Because some pro shops will just be like it looks good when in fact it is not good. Meaning I removed 1 full inch from my draw length and now it feels right and is right. So go to a few different places and try and find someone who has a clue. If you dont know anything you should buy a new bow so the techs can help you out.

Not that you buy something used then go there and ask for help. If they do help expect to payor offer up some money for heir time. Make a day of it and go see some girls. Ohh I meant hoes, ohh shoot I meant to say bows! Haha

Enjoy it's fun... Make sure the weight is comfortable for you!

The only way to select a bow for YOU is to decide how much you are willing to spend then go to every shop you can get to and shoot every bow in that price range. All bows will feel different based on geometry, cam style, axle to axle, materials used, grip, etc etc etc. You MUST shoot them all and pic the one that feels best to YOU.

It's really hard to find a truly bad bow anymore. Just one that doesn't "fit" you properly. good luck and have fun!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts