Archery Talk Forum banner

Which carbon arrow?

1083 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Clang!
I've been looking at carbon arrows to replace the Easton Legacies I've been shooting. I've heard that they're tougher than the aluminums. Does anybody have experience or opinions with the three arrows I'm considering?
These arrows are for recreational shooting only, and will not be used for hunting.

Setup: Martin Lynx Recurve, 44#@29.8" DL, Cavalier Free Flight rest.

Current arrow: Easton Legacy 2016-29" with 21gr insert and 100 gr field point
Spine: .531, Weight: 10.6 gr/in, Straightness: +/-.002", Weight tolerance: +/-1%
These are slightly overspined, but still fly straight

Alternate arrows
1) Carbon Express Heritage 90 Spine: .53, Weight: 9.4 gr/in, Straightness: +/-.005", Weight tolerance: 2 gr.

2) Gold Tip Traditional XT 3555: Spine: .50, Weight: 8.6 gr/in, Straightness: +/-.003", Weight tolerance: ???

3) Beman MFX Classics 500: Spine: .50, Weight: 9.7 gr/in, Straightness: +/-.003", Weight tolerance: 2 gr.

Thanks,
Clang!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11,287 Posts
I've heard that they're tougher than the aluminums. Does anybody have experience or opinions with the three arrows I'm considering?
These arrows are for recreational shooting only, and will not be used for hunting.

Setup: Martin Lynx Recurve, 44#@29.8" DL, Cavalier Free Flight rest.

Current arrow: Easton Legacy 2016-29" with 21gr insert and 100 gr field point
Spine: .531, Weight: 10.6 gr/in, Straightness: +/-.002", Weight tolerance: +/-1%
These are slightly overspined, but still fly straight

Alternate arrows
1) Carbon Express Heritage 90 Spine: .53, Weight: 9.4 gr/in, Straightness: +/-.005", Weight tolerance: 2 gr.

2) Gold Tip Traditional XT 3555: Spine: .50, Weight: 8.6 gr/in, Straightness: +/-.003", Weight tolerance: ???

3) Beman MFX Classics 500: Spine: .50, Weight: 9.7 gr/in, Straightness: +/-.003", Weight tolerance: 2 gr.

Thanks,
Clang!
Carbons can definitely be tougher than aluminum...especially if you foot them with a 1" of aluminum arrow...which you won't likely need to do...unless your stump shooting or hunting.

I personally haven't used any of those arrows but based on what you've shared about your present bow and arrow combo...I would lean more towards the Carbon Express arrows cut a little bit longer.

Do you know how to tune arrows to your bow and tell if they are too weak or too stiff?

Ray ;)

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stump shooting a possible future use. My main problem is a tendancy to take shots at the edge of my range and the arrows aren't always surviving collisions and skips with trees, target frames (hence the name Clang!), and general hard objects.

I was thinking about the CX with 125gr points or the other 2 cut to 30"

I use bare shaft to check for spine. I strip off the fletchings from 2 arrows and replace them with tape to restore the original balance. The further I get from the butt, the more to the left (right hand shooter) the bare shaft arrows impact.

· Registered
314 Posts
I enjoy shooting the Carbon Express Heritage arrows

But as for your situation
I shoot the 150's as does a friend of mine for 45-48# bows, my buddies is a Martin as well at 45#@28" and they fly quite well for him. From what I can see the 150's will be properly spined for you as well. Check the spine adjustment and arrow selection chart on carbon express' website.

· Registered
7,101 Posts
My guess is you could probably get away with the 90s if you don't want to go heavy on the points. If you do, or want that flexibility, go with the 150s (or a 500 spine carbon). Just start with them full lenth and work them down with your intended point weight. I shoot 500s and 600s with different point weights and lenths from about the same specs as you. I do like them to bare shaft a little WEAK though, bare shafts going to the right for a right hander.
And JMO, I don't know if carbons are any more durable, the just don't stay bent.

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up ordering the GT cut to 30" with 100gr points and 15 gr inserts. It'll cut the spine by about 2 lbs and the total arrow weight by about 65 gr. Now comes the fun part; deciding on a fletching pattern....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.