Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some advice for a buddy of mine. His 11 yr old son is disabled and cannot use a regular bow. He is able to use a crossbow however. The problem is that neither my buddy or I know anything about them. To be quite honest, we have always been on the negative crossbow side of things. Any suggestions on a good crossbow?

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Parkers

Parker has a simple fool proof cross bow line It may require a rest

They would be the best choice for a disabled hunter

Avoid BARNETT X bows

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just a gut feeling but????

I think Dad needs to come over and we'll try every single one in we have in town and see if there is anything in the "stock mounted bow" variety that would live up to his expectations (I fear there isn't though). I already had to give the poor boy some nocks, it seemed there is something nawing the nocks of them bolts of his :confused: ;) . I had a brand new Horton 175# that didn't perform any better than the one they have (accuracy wise).

Seriously though, even more imortant might be getting the youngin "a low noise 5 or 10 horse off road, crossbow toating all terrain machine". While it might sound like a bit much for out West, it would give Dad less of an excuse for not being able to hold steady for 35 seconds on each animal just to let down and do it again:rolleyes: :D ! I think the guys at the club would get a kick out of seeing that ripping around the course myself.

Tell him I have a Horizontal 10 horse that we could use to power him, the kid and a few hundred pounds of meat off the mountain with if we put our minds together.;)

Hey ShebArcher, come down and shoot a 3D with us sometime. You might really like it!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice meeting you sir.

-Chad (Chief)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Check out the TEN POINT line. IMHO they make the best quality croossbow for the money. A great X bow would be the TITAN with either the accudraw 50 or normal accudraw cocking assist. You also can get it without the accudraws. They also have many other upgrades models that shoiuld be checked out!
They have the best fit and finish out of all the cross bows I have seen, and I have seen them all.
Good luck and have fun!

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I am a tournament crossbow shooter and I have examined, shot or worked on every thing commercially available. There is no doubt that the best hunting crossbow is the EXCALIBUR recurve brand bows. They are more trouble free than any of the compound versions, more accurate and more reliable. The only downside is that they are slightly wider since the recurve limbs are longer. Ten point, Parker and Horton are well made bows too but if the string fails, you cannot change them quickly unless you have a bow press.

All brands sells mechanical devices that require less than 8 pounds of effort to cock. Ten point's is built into the bow while the excalibur slips on the back end..

Iwould recommend the excalibur vixen-its about 350 US dollars and weighs less than 6 pounds. at 150 pound draw (lighter limbs are available though) it will shoot near 285 feet per second and is plenty strong for any deer in Indiana. Moose and Elk have been taken by it.

feel free to PM me if you need additional info-I have been shooting crossbows for 30 years-I own a dozen and a half and have hunted and competed with them successfully

·
Registered
498 Posts
Disabled Archery

You may try a search for PCBA (physically challenged bowhunters of america) OR UFFDA (united foundation for disabled archers).

Also, the Buckmasters home page has some links to the Wheelin Sportsmen of America.

You can find tons of info on those pages.

Bob

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good stuff.

He'll be familiar with the excaliber bows and that sounds like a great price compared to what you can invest in a package deal from Horton for instance. Let him know if he is interested in trying out the Parker, 10 point, or Horton lines, there are a few of these on hand over here on my side of the Wabash. I can fill him in and he has my number.

8 lbs to cock sure sounds sweet. The poor guy was a bit tuckered out last time I saw him. :)

-Chief

1 - 7 of 7 Posts