Archery Talk Forum banner

which decoy to get?.....Turkey Hunters

629 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  HoytHunter4
been lookin at some of the strutting decoys and thinkin about gettin one before season starts next month but not sure which one to get....looking at getting either the B-Mobile, Pretty Boy...or a strutting Jake-Mobile....which do you all think is better?.....and do you think the Strutting Jake Decoys work better than the Gobbler or vise versa
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Pay It Forward
27,185 Posts
I went with the B-Mobile

and i love it. You can change the tail to mimick a jake or a mature tom. You can add a real tail and real wings if you want. I cut small slits into the sides and I insert the wings from a bird that I harvested into those slits. I use these wings to mimick a flydown early in the am, so I always had one with me, now I just throw a second in the vest.

The B-Mobile packs and unpacks quickly, that was important for me.

The only suggestion - get a set of glass eyes from a taxidermist and a little paint from the hobby shop.

Before

After

The Real Thing

Hunting in PA we have some strange regulations, no hunting after 12:00 and no Sunday hunting. This guy has added a new dimension to my hunting that has helped me get MANY (including my 5-year old son, 3-year old daughter, and 31 year old wife all hooked). I know that birds frequest certain fields and clearings. I can approach these clearings and set up from a distance with the decoy spread that I use. I typically have 3-4 hens a jake and, for the last two years B-Mobile. I typically set one of the hens directly on the ground (not on a stake) and directly in front of my set-up at about 15 yards. I then position the B-Mobile about 3 feet away from that hen and typically to the left of the decoy. I position the jake about 2 feet away from that hen, but in a direct lne closer to my set-up and scatter the remianing hens between my set-up and the "grounded-hen".

If any of you have hunted with children, you know how difficult it can be to get into that "killing zone" of spring tom. This set-up along with my blinds have allowed me to set-up away from the birds and have the birds come to me. That is an AWESOME experience to share with anyone, add to it your wife and children and the reward well its priceless.

I'm sure all of the decoys work relatively, but the B-Mobile (with slight modifications) has done it for me. Sicne I added him to my arsenal, more birds approach my set-up and most importantly close the gap into my effective range of about 45-yards.

· Speed Thrills and Kills
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a bunch for the imput...i did notice that the head needed a little work to make it look more real when i was looking at them the other day but the setup of them was one thing i was wondering about...i havent ever had much luck with decoys in the past so just kind of quit using them but with some of the things i have heard about the strutting decoys has kind of sparked my interest about trying them again a lot

· Registered
938 Posts
any of the struttin decoys will work great. but i like the struttin jakes better cause sometimes the tom decoy will scare the turkeys away. I like the jake better cause if the boss gobbler of that area sees it he is more likely to come in and produce a shot. what will also help if you put a real tail fan on it. I also put real wing feathers on my and it looks really good and works great.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
I just don't like the looks of the B-mobile at all. I personally want a more realistic lookin' decoy, especially with the amount of hunting pressure in my area..... our birds have seen it all. For my money, the Pretty Boy is the better option. I personally can't believe the results we've had over just the last 2 seasons using one. We've killed several Gobblers over the PB and the last 4 mature birds we tagged over this decoy came from over 300 yards out and ended up beak to beak with our fake and less than 15 yards in front of our blind. Its honestly changed the way we hunt 'em.

This season I'm trying the latest edition to the PB series, the Peep'n Tom. Its a softer more compact body and its 10% smaller so it will be less intimidating to all birds. I also love it's multiple (and more realistic) heads and the option to use them as a "medusa" configuration to really get a Tom fired up.

Best of luck to ya this Spring!

· Registered
552 Posts
I like the B-mobile and also the Casanova from Ol'Tom. Casanova looks better than b-mobile but is not quite as portable. I like it better than pretty boy though b/c it is smaller and more portable. I use Jake fans mostly but have had luck with both. The new Jake decoys limit you to using it as a Jake more so than the big ones. In my opinion it is easier to use a full body one as either a jake or tom than it is vice versa. I also use the Dave Smith decoys for my non strutter and they are the best in my opinion. They always seem to pull more birds than even the stuffers that I have used. It sounds crazy but I have had spreads out with stuffers and DSD and the birds go to the DSD more often.

· Classifieds Administrator
39,736 Posts
I have the Pretty Boy and girl set-up. Other than lugging them out there I like the realism.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
We had good luck with the B-mobile last season.:thumbs_up
Not everything will work everytime but it can work great at times. I carry a jake and the B-mobile with me for different situations. Good luck.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
I prefer the feather flex ones. Had them for 11 years now. I use 2 hens and 1 jake set up. I believe back then I paid $10/piece. Pretty Boy was $110 in Gander Mtn yesterday.

· Registered
2,675 Posts
I have the B-mobile and a hen decoy. Only had the B-mobile last year so I have yet to say I had success with it. Hoping this year is different!

The decoy looks good and its very easy to pack and carry in.

Might try and do some painting to the head like in the pics above!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.