Archery Talk Forum banner

Which do you prefer. A hook style release or caliper release?

2980 30
What are advantages and disadvantages of either one. Feel free to say what release you use and why you prefer it or if you use both feel free to compare them. I am looking for a good back up release i can keep in my pack while hunting. Right now I shoot a Scott Shark but just wondering what else out there to try.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
25,353 Posts
i like hooked ones. keep my thumb release nice and warm in my pocket then when the deer starts coming i can hook up fast and draw. for wriste strap style i think hooks are deffinatly the way to go as well

· Registered
4,867 Posts
I like caliper type as i sit with my bow in lap and release hooked to d-loop,works for me............

· Registered
254 Posts
I tried s Scott with the hook and just couldn't get used to it. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice release, I'm just partial to the caliper release. I use a TruFire Hurricane Buckle.

· Hunter/Gatherer
13,388 Posts
Im lovin my Scott Silverhorn. Wanting to try a Carter Quickie...

· Registered
4,148 Posts
Hook for hunting. Easier to attach without looking down to take focus from target.
x2
Go the Scott Rhino XT 2 years ago and couldn't see myself going back to calipers

· Shootingairborne
11,336 Posts
I have used calipers for 20+ years. Went to the hook this past year. Spot Hogg wise guy! Awesome try one before you buy anything!

Good luck!

Aaron

· Registered
2,718 Posts
I have not used a caliper type release in years. Every release that I own is a hook. From what I have experienced between the two, a hook is not as hard on my loop. When I used a caliper release I shot off the string, and the serving would show wear pretty fast. That's what made me go with a loop and a hook style release.

· Registered
4,013 Posts
Hook for an index finger and caliper for a thumb for me. I like the hook on the index finger because it's easier and faster to hook on the d loop and a caliper for a thumb so I can just close it on the d loop and leave it until I'm ready to shoot.

· Registered
3,807 Posts
Hook gives a smoother and uninhibited release.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.