Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day while shooting bows with a friend he remarked how quiet my bow was.(Mathews Legacy). When he was shooting I would listen to how loud his bow was.(Mathews Q2) I decided to step off to the side about 15 yards and turn my back as my friend shot both our bows. I have loss of hearing in both ears but at 15 yards the sound of the arrow hiting the target 30 yards away was louder than both of the bows. Then yesterday while shooting through the crono at the pro shop(260 fps) a guy made the comment "with a bow that quiet you don't need speed"

This made me start thinking about his comment. Is there a reason that some people prefer speed and some silence?

What do you want in your equiptment and why.

Just want to know?

Darkside

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
With todays bows you can have both. My Hyper Tec last year shot just under 300 fps. Plus it was quiet. Ever time I shot a deer last year there were atleast 2 other deer within 20yds of my stand. Not one of the other deer spooked and ran. Heck they didn't even run off.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
You will still find some common thinking about speed could help you counteracting the jump-the-string movement of a deer which is a big mistake, imho. Other likes the speed because of the flatter trajectory to compensate misjudging the yardage.

I generally prefer a quiet bow which is not too slow, hence the best of both worlds. My bow is pretty quiet and still does 272fps. From my findings broadheads are easier to tune below 290-300fps. I shoot fixed-bladers only.

I don't know how your whitetails react but in Southern Africa where I hunt, you can see a correlation of bownoise and the amount of instant movement of the antelope. The more quiet my bow is, the better I'm gonna hit the spot (heart) I aimed for.

Just my thoughts and findings.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Both! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quiet vs Speed

I shoot my bow all summer long at 70 lbs. But now that deer season is almost here (finally), I've put the silencers back on the string and loosened those limbs down to about 60 lbs. I have had more than one shot at a buck, when I hit a little twig I couldn't see, so I know silence is important. More important to me, I don't want to be sitting in the cold for an extended period of time and not be able to pull it back without quaking and shaking. Something about sitting in the cold like a rock makes me weaker than when inside the nice warm clubhouse.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Silence, and accuracy. If ya don't hit'em in the right spot ya don't kill'em, LOL. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
why not both?:confused:

My setup launches arrows 280+ fps and is wisper quiet.:cool:

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I agree with derbytown, silence and accuracy are by far the most important. My bow shoots 62 lbs, 260 fps, with 2314's and is whisper quiet. Speed isn't very important to me, as I rarely shoot beyond 20 yards. Quiet and accurate bows are my thing.

Bows maxed out at 70lbs, shooting 300+/- grain carbon arrows are fine on the 3D range where foam targets won't jump the string. Bring that firecracker into the woods though and you'll get a crash course in bowhunting 101. Takes some people 3 or 4 missed deer before they realize how important a quiet bow is. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
mine is hittin a 2 inch diamiter dot at 10 to 40 yards...

Is that accurate enough?:cool:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I like to have a little of both, actually... My hunting rig shoots in the 290's with carbons that finish weigh 370gr - and with silencers, it's pretty quiet, as well... It's been my experience, that with a fast bow, quietness isn't all that much of an issue inside of 20 yards, but quietness is ALWAYS an issue outside of that distance... Also, I have shot several deer at 25 yards and in, that were looking DEAD at me, and because of good speed, my arrow was through them before they had a chance to move... Lastly, I'll share another experience - I once shot a 6 pointer at a distance of 5 yards, from an API grand slam treestand... The problem was, at that close a distance, my shot was nearly straight down, and my cam hit the bar of the treestand's upper half(ruined the cam) - it sounded like a gun going off... The arrow still impacted where I was aiming, and the deer only traveled about 25 yards or so before keeling over... JMHO's on the matter...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
710 Posts
Silence is paramount, though it must be balanced with retaining some decent speed. Right now, I'm using both 620 grain and 775 grain arrows from my selfbow. With either of those arrows, the loudest part of the shot is the sound of the feathers hissing down to the deer. Deer never know they're being shot at.

I could add a couple more pairs of muskrat fur string silencers and/or use even heavier arrows, but since the flying arrows are the loudest part of my setup already, it would be kind of moot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My opinions are often well-removed from the majority, so I prefer speed. Of course I don't want a bow that makes an awful noise, but unless you have something loose that can rattle, then you really shouldn't have to worry about noise with most modern bows. The way I see it is, there is no way to make a bow so quiet that a deer cannot hear it at 20-30yds, so you might as well have the speed.

Actually, I feel that deer are often reacting more to the arrow noise, than to the bow noise. I'm sure many of you have stood 20yds or 30yds down range and heard an arrow fly past at 275+ fps, but if you haven't, the sound of the arrow in flight is usually much louder than the sound from the bow.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Learn to shoot and the speed is a plus. That slow hit better than a fast miss.... is a mute point. What is fast? I will take a bow shooting around 275 fps with a 400 grain arrow over one shooting 250 out of the same bow every time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rephrase the question

I guess I should have said if there is some kind of gadget that would add fps to your bow, but also add to the sound of your bow, at what fps increase would the additional sound be worth adding the gadget?

I know this is a very open question, but I am just looking for a little intertainment at 1:00 am :D

Darkside

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stick sniper,
Kind of thinking that my myself after getting a couple of pots of coffee down and rereading it.
;)

It just seams that everyone I talk with claims either one or the other is the "goal" to strive for.

My bow is shooting 259-260fps AND is quiet but a friends bow is Fast(280ish) and loud. The guy that set up his bow said with that kind of speed he could "get away" with a little more noise.

My likes lean toward the quiet first then speed.

Just board I guess? :D

Darkside

·
Registered
984 Posts
I never consider speed in any decision involving the arrow I shoot. My complete and total concentration is on the arrow dynamics that will give me the best flying fixed blade broadhead out of my setup. I tend to have slightly heavier arrows, because I like my F.O.C. over 10%. I also prefer to shoot slightly overspined arrow. They are more forgiving then underspined arrows. This adds to arrow weight.

The added benefit of a heavier arrow, is that every bow is quieter shooting the heavier arrow, then a lighter one. They also make the bow more vibration free and more of the energy from the bow is transferred to the arrow. In addition the arrow retains a much higher % of the energy downrange. I've never lost a deer because my arrow was too slow (shot lots of deer with a recurve at about 160 fps), and I'd have to shoot a log out of one of today's bow's, at less than 220 fps. Add in the fact that 95% of my deer have been shot inside of 20 yards, where speed makes no significant difference. The decision to ignore speed is a no-brainer for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts