Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just recently purchased a new Mathews and the pro shop guy is trying to convince me to purchase a fall away stating they are more forgiving and easier to tune with less or no fletch contact. I have used a prong style for years and never had much problems. This year is the first year I decided to spend a little money on my equipment. I have researched several of the rests. I am not to fond of the whisker biscuit idea due to 100% fletching contact and how they may tear up fletching. I am also apprehensive about fall aways because the old saying "more moving parts, more that can fail". I am a bit nervous about these things failing at the wrong time, walking in the woods in the morning to get to my tree stand to realize the cable string on the rest was pulled off by a twig.

So with all that said, I was hoping I could get some feedback from everyone.

Has anyone had anything fail on the drop aways? Do you like the cable string attachement? Do you like the recoil ones? Are they easier to tune and is there less fletch contact?

There are three fall aways I am looking at:

NAP Quicktune 2100
Muzzy Zero Effect...........from pictures not to keen on how it is attached to the cable.
Mathews Rest

And yes I have read the tech reviews on here and other websites. I would like to hear if anyone has had one fail or walked into the woods and a tree twig damages it?

Thanks in advance! :) :darkbeer:

Ridge

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I have used several different drop aways and will continue to do so for 3D but for hunting I keep going back to the Biscuit. Dont think that with all the contact that you cant shoot a biscuit accurately because you can. I lost a whole 1 FPS compared to my drop aways. Also if you use a stiff vane like a blazer vane there will be no damage to them going through the Biscuit. The Biscuit is definitly a Keep It Simple rest that is great for hunting.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I haven't hunted with mine yet...

I just put it on earlier this year. I've had this bow for about 3 years, always with a TM Hunter and I could never get the setup tuned to my liking. I just had to re-sight for BH. I put the drop away on and moved it once and had it shooting great.

I, too, am a big fan of simplicity, so in theory I would prefer a stationary rest. I don't know what I couldn't get right on the prong type (I tried several), if it was the spring tension, the spacing or what.

My plan when I do get to hunt again is to have several strings cut to length to carry with me. If the ends are already burned into a bulb, all I need is an allen wrench to change it out.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Rip-Cord---All around great rest. What I like best about it is the containment. Once in your tree stand, set the rest up and it stays, holdong the arrow in place.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies.............by inference I take it that no one has had any problems with the cords being ripped off or hasn't had one fail?

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Trophy Taker is your best bet in my opinion.

There are so few moving parts, it's rugged, and verryyyyy easy to set up. Very consistant, extremely accurate.

I've never had one fail, and I can't remember the last time I've read a story on one failing.

Great customer service to boot!

·
Registered
13,924 Posts
Limb Driver for sure. You get a rest that is sprung to help absorb the flex that occurs when the arrow is shot and then it falls away in the last 30% of the arrow. All other drop aways are rigid and will not give you the accuracy potential that the Limb Driver does. It also attaches to the top limb and not the cable. Attaching to the cable puts tension on it at draw and pulls it slightly out of time. I have read many fellow AT'er say that after having the Limb Driver, they will never go back to the Trophy Taker or any other drop away. Do a search here on AT and see what you think. As a matter of fact, I have heard it is the only rest that Bowtech reccommends. The Limb Driver offers 2 choices in launchers, the 2 prong style and the deep-V style.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing any rests, most are very good, but the LD is just that good. As for me, I am not good enough to realize the full potential of the LD.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Trap Door Free Fall It works even if the cord breaks.:)

There isn't one;)

·
Registered
2007 Bowtech Equalizer, 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32
974 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Vital Bow Gear Kaz-Away. Arrow retention is superb when waiting for game to show up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Binary Cam All the Way

NAP 2000 here. It's the low-end NAP but it works fine on my TomKat.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Had T Taker, still have Drop Zone ala, Crackers and now have Limb Driver...
All good stuff I can't bash any of the 3 but this LD is getting sweet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a NAP and a Trohpy Taker. I have not had any trouble with either.
I like the TT the best. It is easier for me to tune.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
How many brands are on the market? That's probably how many answers you are going to get. I have been using NAP rests for about 10 years now with only one problem, and that was probably 6 or 7 years ago. NAP immediately gave me a new one. I am now using their Quicktune 4000 rest and have not had one problem with it so far. Most, if not all, are probably equally good and I have heard good things about most. I just favor the NAP products.

Ted

·
Registered
435 Posts
The QAD Ultra rest is good and only costs about $50. It does attach with a cord to the cable but I don't envision it ever breaking, it just doesn't have much tension on it. I haven't had it out in the woods yet but it does shoot great once I got the cock feather up, it has no fletching problems since.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Search Threads Of Those That Interest You

Search the existing threads, lots of good reviews and experiences.

I used a Ripcord for 2 years without issue.
I have had the QAD Ultra Pro LD on my bow for 3 months now and so far don't regret the upgrade from the ripcord.

Other threads will indicate more problematic issues with the QAD than the ripcord, but.

Do your research and review all the existing threads.
Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts