Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add a hand held scale to measure lbs on my bow so when I set up one I can go back and make sure poundage hasn't changed or if it has I can readjust to bring it back in tolerance. Thanks in advance

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
I have been eyeballing a set of digital crane scales on eBay. They are 600 lb capacity and my thoughts are that if it can handle up to 600 lbs, then 60 or 70 will be a piece of cake. They look to be built a lot better than the other scales I've seen and used.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
AWS PK 110 is the scale I bought for my draw board and it works great. It allows you to get peak weight if you want
http://www.amazon.com/AWS-PK-110-Di...=1453205783&sr=8-2&keywords=peak+weight+scale
I was going to buy a crane scale, but the PK 110 is more than adequate for bow poundage, and doesn't turn off by itself which would be annoying like a lot of the crane scales do. Plus it was half the cost or less than a crane scale.
The only reason a crane scale would be better is that you could double duty and use it to weight deer on a hoist gambrel system

·
Registered
198 Posts
AWS PK 110 is the scale I bought for my draw board and it works great. It allows you to get peak weight if you want
http://www.amazon.com/AWS-PK-110-Di...=1453205783&sr=8-2&keywords=peak+weight+scale
I was going to buy a crane scale, but the PK 110 is more than adequate for bow poundage, and doesn't turn off by itself which would be annoying like a lot of the crane scales do. Plus it was half the cost or less than a crane scale.
The only reason a crane scale would be better is that you could double duty and use it to weight deer on a hoist gambrel system
This ^^^^

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I got the Aws 110 and tried weighing some weights with it . 40 lb weight measured 38 on the scale, so went to 55 # weight and the first time it was exactly 55#, there after every time I weighed it, it was heavier. Last measurement was 56.8. Has anyone else noticed the same thing, or maybe I got a bad scale.

Lucky

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
I had one of the popular plastic bow scales that you see all over the place under different brand names. Used it several times on my 70# bow without issue, then went to check a brand new 60# bow and the scale came apart and derailed a brand new bow. I then moved on to an AWS PK110 which I've had for a few years now and I've never had an issue with it. The whole housing is metal and with the peak weight mode its much better than my prior bow scale.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I got the Aws 110 and tried weighing some weights with it . 40 lb weight measured 38 on the scale, so went to 55 # weight and the first time it was exactly 55#, there after every time I weighed it, it was heavier. Last measurement was 56.8. Has anyone else noticed the same thing, or maybe I got a bad scale.

Lucky
I had exactly the same issues with the AWS 110 scale I bought. Way too inconsistent for a bow scale where you need +/- 2 lb accuracy at least.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I had one of the popular plastic bow scales that you see all over the place under different brand names. Used it several times on my 70# bow without issue, then went to check a brand new 60# bow and the scale came apart and derailed a brand new bow. I then moved on to an AWS PK110 which I've had for a few years now and I've never had an issue with it. The whole housing is metal and with the peak weight mode its much better than my prior bow scale.
Yep it's always a good idea to have a safety cord when using the draw board for dloop, scale, or other failures. If I were to check the weight by hand I would do it outside with an arrow knocked.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
My AWS PK 110 reads the same every time on the draw board...perhaps if you gave one with inconsistent readings it needs to go back to AWS

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
My AWS PK 110 reads the same every time on the draw board...perhaps if you gave one with inconsistent readings it needs to go back to AWS
I know AWS made an H110 that was different from the PK110 and had a lower accuracy rating...perhaps those having issues have the H110?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have the same scale and it works great ...

Attachments

·
Den Bow's Custom Arrows
4,718 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen, had to replace both cam and the mods and both lower limbs, draw stops, string and cables etc.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Cheap scales are just that...cheap scales. You will never know the exact weight within a 0.5#. They are very inconsistent too. The pelouze scale would be the best of that lot. Unfortunately if you want accuracy you need a good scale, and those are expensive. Intercomp makes one of the best hanging scales.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts