Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I havent worn a harness the last 20 years or so well hunting. Im getting one for Xmas and was wondering what everyone else is using. I wanna know the pros and cons of others. Ive been looking at the HSS Hybrid or Bowhunter model. And please dont bash me for not using one Im not here for that garbage. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
LOL I don't use one either. I saw the picture of the guy hanging in the tree with it on and thought I'm not going to hang in the tree by my crotch in some medieval torture device. LOL I'd rather fall.

Anyhow, my tree stand actually came with one - it's a summit viper sd. I take it yours didn't have one - or you just got rid of it?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a HSS, but have just swapped over to a rock harness.
Got the Back Diamond Vario and very happy with it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL I don't use one either. I saw the picture of the guy hanging in the tree with it on and thought I'm not going to hang in the tree by my crotch in some medieval torture device. LOL I'd rather fall.

Anyhow, my tree stand actually came with one - it's a summit viper sd. I take it yours didn't have one - or you just got rid of it?
Yeah I have the same stand but the harness looks like you need a degree to put it on lol

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the muddy ones. Do you guys wear them over or under your jacket or what? I want the safety of one but I want it to be comfortable as well.

·
Mad Arrow Slinger
10,667 Posts
Has light at Cabela's 49.99 nice and light for the price wear over jacket

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hunter Safety System Ultra Lite Wide straps very comfortable and affordable on Sale $49.99 at Cabela's Lineman's Climbing Strap Included. Easy to put on in the dark at your hunting site. Easy adjustment and when adjusted comfortable fit sitting or standing. A necessity with a climber, and so comfortable you want to wear in it in you ladder stand too.

·
Got Archery?
3,030 Posts
Hunter Safety System Ultra Lite Wide straps very comfortable and affordable on Sale $49.99 at Cabela's Lineman's Climbing Strap Included. Easy to put on in the dark at your hunting site. Easy adjustment and when adjusted comfortable fit sitting or standing. A necessity with a climber, and so comfortable you want to wear in it in you ladder stand too.
+1 right here

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,396 Posts
Muddy u can adjust the tether length so u can move without getting hung up

·
Registered
6,554 Posts

You say that until you actually fall and break your neck. I used the harness from my Viper for a year. After getting an aftermarket harness you will wonder how you ever used that seat belt contraption. Im sticking with my rock climbing harness.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Rock Climbing harness for me. Never liked all the straps that a traditional harness uses.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I use the muddy harness. I will wear it under my jacket (if i am wearing a jacket). It is light and easy to put on, it does not seem to get in the way like the Gorilla harness I had.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Muddy for me. I wear it over my clothes so I can use the tail as a deer drag. Lightweight with a lil extra padding in the creases so it doesn't bunch up (if that makes any sense). I had one of those webbing style ones that comes with stands but I ditched it cause it seemed to generic.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
One of my favorites.

Big Game Platinum Collection Diamondback. Very reasonably priced, worn over about 3 layers of clothing but under my hunting coat/jacket.

1a.jpg

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Muddy for me. I wear it over my clothes so I can use the tail as a deer drag. Lightweight with a lil extra padding in the creases so it doesn't bunch up (if that makes any sense). I had one of those webbing style ones that comes with stands but I ditched it cause it seemed to generic.
you shouldn't use your harness to drag your deer. you are stressing the very thing that keeps you safe in a tree. just buy some rope.

i wear my Muddy harness everytime. i wear it under my jacket and on a prussic knot that allows me to take all the slack out of the teather. i also use HSS life lines on all my treestands. i am hooked up from bottom to top everytime. i do not want to be a statistic.

do not be swayed by price when buying a harness. its your life your dealing with.

·
Vendor
25,421 Posts
There are many manufacturers of rock climbing slings. The more expensive ones have more rings sewn into the waist belt for carrying tools. They also have thicker padding for longer hanging. For hunting, sitting on that padding gets uncomfortable so I opt for less leg padding. The tool rings will not be necessary and will get in the way so buy the cheaper model save the money and hassle.
This is just one of many. They attach in the front which pulls the leg straps away from the femoral artery. Can be worn under hunting clothes and attached through the zipper.http://www.rei.com/product/819452/black-diamond-momentum-sa-climbing-harness

1 - 20 of 53 Posts